Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Hey all,

SPOILERS -----------------------

Was anyone else here disapointed with the film?
I do because of the VERY unoriginal plot. Here is a list of comparasons (new film / new hope)

On a desert planet / On a desert planet
Girl is gifted at the force / Boy is gifted at the force
Girl knows little about the force / Boy knows little about the force
Droid has info needed by order / droid has info needed by empire
Enemy goes to planet to find droid / Enemy goes to planet to find droid
Girl gets a ride off the planet with falcon / Boy gets a ride off planet with falcon
Girl meets solo / Boy meets solo
Girl ends up at a club / Boy ends up at a club
Father figuer dies via lightsaber / Father figure dies via lightsaber
Enemy has super weapon / Enemy has super weapon
Super weapon destroyed with fighter / Super weapon destroyed with fighter
Girl meets skywalker alone on planet / Bot meets yoda on planet alone

Both super weapons confuse people (its no moon, its a bla bla)

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Hey all,

SPOILERS -----------------------

Was anyone else here disapointed with the film?
I do because of the VERY unoriginal plot. Here is a list of comparasons (new film / new hope)

On a desert planet / On a desert planet
Girl is gifted at the force / Boy is gifted at the force
Girl knows little about the force / Boy knows little about the force
Droid has info needed by order / droid has info needed by empire
Enemy goes to planet to find droid / Enemy goes to planet to find droid
Girl gets a ride off the planet with falcon / Boy gets a ride off planet with falcon
Girl meets solo / Boy meets solo
Girl ends up at a club / Boy ends up at a club
Father figuer dies via lightsaber / Father figure dies via lightsaber
Enemy has super weapon / Enemy has super weapon
Super weapon destroyed with fighter / Super weapon destroyed with fighter
Girl meets skywalker alone on planet / Bot meets yoda on planet alone

Both super weapons confuse people (its no moon, its a bla bla)
More or less, I guess, as failing marriages: not because how things developed but because the unreasonable / plain wrong expectations they started based on.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi MITCH,

I guess I'll start off by saying no, I was not entirely disappointed. That being said, I was hoping for a new story, but I constantly found myself thinking, "I've seen this before", or "I know what's about to happen", and I was right every time. The movie was very predictable. However, even you must admit it was fairly well done. The action sequences were fairly believable, the acting was decent (better than the prequels for sure!), the characters were fresh, and the special (practical) effects were phenomenal. When other people ask me what I thought about it, I tell them it's a good movie, though as with just about every other movie out there it is not without its faults.

In all I would watch it again and would still add it to my Star Wars collection.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Every x number of months, a bunch of people put on fireworks displays. It's basically the same show every time, but it's still fun to watch the whiz-bang-sparkle. If Star Wars rings your bell, have fun watching the whiz-bang-sparkle.

Personally, I'll be watching the next Harry Potter movie, even if all it has is a magical inch worm that moves two inches instead of one inch.

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
I just saw it. Yes I wanted more, but realized I was wrong in expecting more. The Star Wars saga is a great example of "cowboy" science fiction. The same themes repeated with different characters and in this case better effects. (The effects were GREAT!) Shoot out at the OK coral/mammoth space station, The bad guys are arriving on the 4:00 train/space transport. The big rancher/First Order against the small settlers/rebel rebellion. Disney said that they want to release a new Star Wars movie each year and Cowboy science fiction is how they will do that.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I just saw it. Yes I wanted more, but realized I was wrong in expecting more. The Star Wars saga is a great example of "cowboy" science fiction. The same themes repeated with different characters and in this case better effects. (The effects were GREAT!) Shoot out at the OK coral/mammoth space station, The bad guys are arriving on the 4:00 train/space transport. The big rancher/First Order against the small settlers/rebel rebellion. Disney said that they want to release a new Star Wars movie each year and Cowboy science fiction is how they will do that.
Even John Wayne and Clint Eastwood westerns eventually lost their appeal. I wonder how long Disney will try to ride this gravy train. Do they stop when they realized they jumped the shark or do they keep going until they make a money loser... Or beyond?

They already have the schedule for years to come...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I appreciate that the story may be similar at times because it can be difficult to make 6 films all with unique stories but this star wars VII was just a rip off. Look at what JJ Abrams did to star trek 2. They where the same film except the original was much better ^_^

KKHHHAAAANNN!!!

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
They could have easily made a new plot. It could have been about the rebellion finally taking back the galaxy but the sith rebuild their armies and enlist new jedi. It could have explored the reformation of the republic.

Also, you should never give a film a good review because the effects are good. That is why I am disappointed in rotten tomatoes who think its acceptable to rate it 97% yet completely missed the fact that the plot was unoriginal and identical. That is the sort of thing rotten tomatoes takes you to the executioner for. If another body made this film or a film with an identical plot they would get low ratings, sued and shunned.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
They could have easily made a new plot. It could have been about the rebellion finally taking back the galaxy but the sith rebuild their armies and enlist new jedi. It could have explored the reformation of the republic.
Yeah. And I thought Luke was supposed to have 'restored balance' to the force in ROTJ. Where'd that go? Or, hasn't it happened yet?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
No instead luke decided to do a yoda because of the evil guy who just really looked out of place. They could have made the sith guy REALLY awesome and instead made the most pathetic character I have ever seen!

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Just went to the movies and watched Star wars. Mitch is right. It was OK for the most part. There are a lot of silly unrealities, but it's just a movie I guess.
As a long time scifi fan I tend to pick on things that don't make sense. Like why would anyone send small "fighters" to knock over a planet. Surely it makes sense to send a smart nuke (we do have them now) and do they job in one go.Use multiple nukes even. Or launch a big asteroid at the planet. Easier and cheaper!
Oh well, at least I didn't have to pay(had a free voucher as a gift)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I agree with @MITCH electronics, 100%. Not only am I disappointed, I'm also a bit depressed. I expected more. Much more.

I coulda just watched episode IV again. It woulda been far more satisfying.
Just saw the movie today.... my verdict: it was Ok
Now... what did the plot remind me of?... lemme think... hey, I got it! ... it was like watching another morning episode of "As the Galaxy Turns"...