Star Trek is back...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://jalopnik.com/anton-yelchins-jeep-was-included-in-rollaway-recall-lin-1782277820
Yelchin, 27, died in an unusual and horrifying incident early Sunday morning when his SUV—a Jeep Grand Cherokee—was left in neutral and apparently rolled down his driveway when he was outside of it, crushing him into a mailbox.

At the time it wasn’t clear whether Yelchin’s car was a 2014 or 2015 Grand Cherokee—the two model years covered by Fiat Chrysler’s voluntary shifter recall. But this morning, LAPD officials confirmed to Jalopnik that Yelchin’s SUV was a 2015 Grand Cherokee, meaning it was among the vehicles covered by Fiat Chrysler’s shifter recall from April.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM497024/INOA-EA16002-6630.PDF
One of the dangers of 'fly-by-wire' and poor user interfaces that change simple mechanical movements we often do without consciously thinking about it.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
http://jalopnik.com/anton-yelchins-jeep-was-included-in-rollaway-recall-lin-1782277820

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM497024/INOA-EA16002-6630.PDF
One of the dangers of 'fly-by-wire' and poor user interfaces that change simple mechanical movements we often do without consciously thinking about it.
Yeah, no matter how much technology advances, ergonomics will always a determinant factor when dealing with safety.
I just can't get over this horrible tragedy. He was a very talented actor, and at 27, he was just a kid... from my perspective at least.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I suspect Adm. Zumwalt would crap his pants if he were still alive to see that 'Mickey Mouse' ship with his name on it.
The Warp Drive is down.

https://news.usni.org/2016/11/22/uss-zumwalt-sidelined-panama
The ship lost propulsion in its port shaft during the transit and the crew saw water intrusion in two of the four bearings that connect to Zumwalt’s port and starboard Advanced Induction Motors (AIMs) to the drive shafts, a defense official told USNI News on Tuesday. The AIMs are the massive electrical motors that are driven by the ship’s gas turbines and in turn electrically power the ship’s systems and drive the shafts.

Both of the shafts locked during the passage and the transit had to be completed with tugs. The ship made minor contact with lock walls in the canal resulting in minor cosmetic damage. Following the transit, the Navy determined the ship couldn’t continue to its new homeport at Naval Station San Diego without additional repairs.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
It's been a long time (early 20th century) since the last inverted bow naval vessel.

Admiral "Z" would be irate, with all capital letters, if he were alive. Hey, do you think we'd have "Z-gram" twitter feeds? LOL

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I just watched the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix, and I have to say it was absolutely spectacular... I hope they keep up that quality level throughout the series.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Star Trek, Full House, who says an re-hash of a long-ago cancelled show won't make it on a digital streaming service? Netflix claims Full House is a big hit - even without the Olson Twins. Star Trek/Full House - same thing, right?
I don’t think so. How many people here use Netflix (I do)? How many use the CVS streaming service (what)!

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I just watched the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery on Netflix, and I have to say it was absolutely spectacular... I hope they keep up that quality level throughout the series.

I disagree. I could not take it. I thought acting was horrendous. The Klingons are just painful to follow. And that is with ab abbreviated dialog so that the subtitles can be followed. I cannot imagine that there would be such lack of dialog from highly intelligent beings.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I disagree. I could not take it. I thought acting was horrendous. The Klingons are just painful to follow. And that is with ab abbreviated dialog so that the subtitles can be followed. I cannot imagine that there would be such lack of dialog from highly intelligent beings.
I haven't watched it or the seth macfarlane's parody 'the orville' either but what I have seen of online reviews comparing the two mcfarlane's low wit humor based one is faring better that the new star trek is. :(

Personally I can't say I'm going to waste any of my time to watch either given what I have seen in their trailer previews and online ratings.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
I watched the premier episode on network TV. My opinion of the new Star Trek: 10 minutes of silly plot surrounded by 25 minutes of commercials spread out over more than an hour.

No way would I waste my time watching more episodes -- even for free.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Emoji Smiley-19.png What a bunch of wet blankets... Of course Star Trek has always been a little campy! Just ask William Shatner. It's clear that people our age are not the target audience. The main audience for all of the Star Trek series has always been 12-16 year olds! . I've always been a kid at heart, and even enjoy watching an animated movie every now on then (I'm a big fan of "How to Train Your Dragon" for instance) Yes, I admit that the first two episodes were a little slow, with all that too-paused klingon talk and scenery. But those were the opening chapters of an opening season, and you can't blame the director for making emphasis on the melodramatic.

I just watched the third chapter, and that's the one that truly starts the series. One realizes that the first two were just a prologue, and set the background to what this is really going to be about. As for its rating, these first three chapters did pretty well, it all depends on who you ask: