Star Trek is back...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm sorry to say my prediction is that it will not fly. They're trying to drive traffic to their online service, which so far is not making people too happy. They may accomplish a little of that, but I think it will come at the expense of the show's success. I'm skeptical it would catch on even if they ran it on the network proper, let alone hiding it away on a service few people use.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I'm sorry to say my prediction is that it will not fly. They're trying to drive traffic to their online service, which so far is not making people too happy. They may accomplish a little of that, but I think it will come at the expense of the show's success. I'm skeptical it would catch on even if they ran it on the network proper, let alone hiding it away on a service few people use.
Star Trek, Full House, who says an re-hash of a long-ago cancelled show won't make it on a digital streaming service? Netflix claims Full House is a big hit - even without the Olson Twins. Star Trek/Full House - same thing, right?

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Just because Netflix is doing well doesn't mean others will..

I wonder if the conversation at CBS was "Hey how could we draw a large group of subscribers to our online service?....... oh easy.. Star trek nerds for the win!!! "

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Being a fan of Star Trek (sorry, Star Wars-ers) I find this piece of news rather exciting:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/producer-bryan-fuller-gives-details-on-cbs-star-trek-reboot/

My only reservation is that maybe they will be placing not just one woman (I have no problem with that, in fact I find Angela Basset a good fit for the role) but TWO at the helm... not sure if that's gonna work out...
I'm a big Star Trek fan also...llap..... :-]

I think the she fits the role...but, on the other hand, I didn't like the Voyager series.

Anyway...I'll be watching...

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
It will come down to the writing. Compelling stories and characters is a big part of what makes people tune in. I guess I'm skeptical it will have the sort of "morality play" stories, spiced up with some interesting sci-fi what-if?s that made the original such a staple. We'll see.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Just because Netflix is doing well doesn't mean others will..
Sorry, I forgot the notation to indicate my sarcasm / eye rolling / suspicious / cynicism.

I wonder if the conversation at CBS was "Hey how could we draw a large group of subscribers to our online service?....... oh easy.. Star trek nerds for the win!!! "
That is what I was implying.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Star Trek will be back (for me) when I see it on my TV.
(I don't have the ability to watch video on my computer from my easy chair.)

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Star Trek will be back (for me) when I see it on my TV.
(I don't have the ability to watch video on my computer from my easy chair.)
Time to move the easy chair. Or, if your TV has a USB drive, time to buy a $35 Google Chrome Cast wifi receiver for your TV. The latest model of chromecast is perfect for Star Trek. The model number is NC2-6A5, just like the Starship Enterprise.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Time to move the easy chair. Or, if your TV has a USB drive, time to buy a $35 Google Chrome Cast wifi receiver for your TV. The latest model of chromecast is perfect for Star Trek. The model number is NC2-6A5, just like the Starship Enterprise.
What????

We have a spy in our midst!

Star Trek's Enterprise is NCC-1701 A, B, C or D... and I didn't have to look it up!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Even the US Navy is promoting the new launch, with their own Captain Kirk, (yes, James Kirk). Stealth Destroyer!
All the whistles and bells of the Air Force's technology - except speed. Has a much tighter turning radius at top speed than the Air Force junk.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/20/politics/navy-stealth-destroyer-zumwalt/index.html

View attachment 106500
I suspect Adm. Zumwalt would crap his pants if he were still alive to see that 'Mickey Mouse' ship with his name on it.

Last edited: