Standards for Instructional Threads, Discussion.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The very strong accent and echoes are back again!
He should do his lecture on a website in his country and talk in his own language.
If the microphone is much closer to his mouth then the echoes will be less.
OK? OK? 0K?

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi agu,
I should remind you that this is an International based Site.

The TS's input is not perfect, but he is making an effort to improve his knowledge and his presentation techniques.
We should encourage newbies by giving them guidance and pointers, not keep belittling them by posting unhelpful, sarcastic remarks.

E

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
We speak English here. There are already many tutorials in perfect English here.
Why did he come here and why not on a website in his own language in his own country?
Why a video with his very strong accent? His English writing is fine, instead a written lecture would be fine.
He seems to be reading from a book or copying another lecture, not presenting anything.

Quora asks (I am not the only one, it is common to ask), "Why do Indians usually speak English with such a strong accent? Is English pronunciation so unfamiliar compared to the spoken languages in India?"

Quora answers, "Indians aren't trying to emulate English, they actually speak Indian English."

He did not improve echo cancellation since his recent other video.

mishra87

Joined Jan 17, 2016
We speak English here. There are already many tutorials in perfect English here.
Why did he come here and why not on a website in his own language in his own country?
Why a video with his very strong accent? His English writing is fine, instead a written lecture would be fine.
He seems to be reading from a book or copying another lecture, not presenting anything.

Quora asks (I am not the only one, it is common to ask), "Why do Indians usually speak English with such a strong accent? Is English pronunciation so unfamiliar compared to the spoken languages in India?"

Quora answers, "Indians aren't trying to emulate English, they actually speak Indian English."

He did not improve echo cancellation since his recent other video.
Hi Audioguru,

OK? OK? OK ?
For your kind information -
Was not an echo ?
It was just repetitions of word for two or three times.

I am not good Communicatior and neither do i have good presentation and technical skills.

Yes I do have Indian accent am proud of having our own accent rather than coping others.

Yes I am Hardware Engineer and I comunicate with German and American clients and they understand me easily. So I need not to give any explanation to others .

I am professionally a hardware Engineer not YouTuber.

This is International website and that is why I post something here.

I have been associated with AAC for more than 5 Years . I start thread here and get solutions. My single thread got more than 27 K views .

Yes I do need improvements and I am working on same.

Indian Top Institutions like #IIT professor speaks with same accent. Indian #ISRO Scientists speaks with same accent and they still launch #Chandrayan-2.
https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/m#/courseoutline/noc20_ee12

It's better to encourage somebody rather than discouraging.

I am extemely sorry for these words.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Your writing in English is very good. I suggested that an improvement would be to make your tutorials in text, not spoken with your severe accent and echoes.

Your echoes are caused by your voice sounds bouncing off hard surfaces of the walls, floor and ceiling. Echoes are reduced by using soft acoustical absorbing materials like a carpet on the floor and acoustical ceiling tiles.
Without modifying the room then echoes can be reduced by moving the microphone closer to your mouth making your voice louder then turning down the loudness which also turns down the echoes.

I am sorry to complain about your Indian accent but I am disturbed by many people from India phoning me every day here in Canada about "give me your money". They sell Duct Cleaning and scams from telephone call-centers in India. Canadian and Indian governments are trying to stop them.
Many companies here have people in India doing their "customer service" with your severe accent.
I went to school and moved to my city here in Canada with people who look like me and talk like me. Now I am a visible minority in my city because millions of new people are from India.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Your writing in English is very good. I suggested that an improvement would be to make your tutorials in text, not spoken with your severe accent and echoes.

Your echoes are caused by your voice sounds bouncing off hard surfaces of the walls, floor and ceiling. Echoes are reduced by using soft acoustical absorbing materials like a carpet on the floor and acoustical ceiling tiles.
Without modifying the room then echoes can be reduced by moving the microphone closer to your mouth making your voice louder then turning down the loudness which also turns down the echoes.

I am sorry to complain about your Indian accent but I am disturbed by many people from India phoning me every day here in Canada about "give me your money". They sell Duct Cleaning and scams from telephone call-centers in India. Canadian and Indian governments are trying to stop them.
Many companies here have people in India doing their "customer service" with your severe accent.
I went to school and moved to my city here in Canada with people who look like me and talk like me. Now I am a visible minority in my city because millions of new people are from India.
Audioguru, I've seen you post lots of excellent advice regarding circuit design, particularly when it comes to audio circuits, and I appreciate that. However, I don't think that's any excuse for letting your personal feelings cause you to lash out at someone who hasn't done anything wrong. As far as I'm concerned, there's no place here for that kind of attitude.

I don't see why you should care whether you're in the majority or the minority in your home town. It certainly shouldn't matter whether people look like you. To me, those are very troubling statements. Nevertheless, you're free to feel however you feel, and I can't change that. I would ask that you keep your prejudices to yourself and not attack people on this otherwise helpful forum, based solely on an accent.

As for telephone scams, I can assure you that those are being done by countless people from every nation, in every language and accent imaginable, all day every day. I hate them as much as you do, but that's no excuse for your attitude. Furthermore, even if the scams did primarily come from one country or group of people, that's still no excuse for lumping all members of a nation into the same boat. Unless you know for a fact the thread starter is one of the scammers, you should leave that out of this.

I hope in the future you can separate your electrical and audio opinions from your social and geo-political ones. I'd hate to lose your useful audio insights... on the other hand, if you want to keep sharing posts like this one, I'd rather you leave and not come back.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Hi Audioguru,

OK? OK? OK ?
For your kind information -
Was not an echo ?
It was just repetitions of word for two or three times.

I am not good Communicatior and neither do i have good presentation and technical skills.

Yes I do have Indian accent am proud of having our own accent rather than coping others.

Yes I am Hardware Engineer and I comunicate with German and American clients and they understand me easily. So I need not to give any explanation to others .

I am professionally a hardware Engineer not YouTuber.

This is International website and that is why I post something here.

I have been associated with AAC for more than 5 Years . I start thread here and get solutions. My single thread got more than 27 K views .

Yes I do need improvements and I am working on same.

Indian Top Institutions like #IIT professor speaks with same accent. Indian #ISRO Scientists speaks with same accent and they still launch #Chandrayan-2.
https://onlinecourses.nptel.ac.in/m#/courseoutline/noc20_ee12

It's better to encourage somebody rather than discouraging.

I am extemely sorry for these words.

Thanks.
While I strongly disagree with most of what Audioguru said, and I'm sorry that you had to deal with that, I do agree with him that the echoes make it more difficult to hear and understand you.

"Echoes" may not be the best description. They're not totally separate and distinct like repeated words. It could better be described as a very short, but heavy reverb, a slapback delay, or maybe a flutter echo.

Regardless of what you call it, it does make listening more challenging. If you're wanting to improve your presentation skills generally, but plan to use them mostly in face to face situations, then you can ignore this critique. However, if you want to improve your video presentations so that others online can benefit from them, then improving the audio quality would be quite helpful.

As AG said, this can be done by adding acoustic treatment to the room, by moving the microphone much closer to your mouth, or preferably both. In less than ideal rooms, even 12" (~30cm?) can be too far away. The closer, the better when it comes to reducing undesirable room acoustics. Of course, getting closer has its own problems, including plosives, sibilance, and proximity effect. Really getting audio right can be challenging, but if you want to make the most of these video lectures, it's worth considering.

If you do want to look into improving acoustics and/or microphone technique, feel free to post more questions here on the subject. Although video and dialogue were never my main job, I did study audio production and ran a side business doing recording and live sound for over a decade. I'd be happy to elaborate and share some pointers.

Sorry for continuing to take this so far off topic. Hopefully we can get back to discussing the actual content of the video now. Cheers!

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I found a You Tube video about Speech to Text software. The guy demo'd an American talking and it worked perfectly. With an American talking fast it performed poorly and I also had trouble understanding it. An English accent also preformed poorly and I also could not understand some of it. It completely failed trying to translate a Spanish voice to English text.

Guess what?? The guy in the video has an extreme Indian accent, the same as the video in this thread and the software performed perfectly, maybe because he cheated and typed it. I vote for printed sub-titles when there is an extreme accent.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Reminds me of a post I made in my local English phrase and idiom that was deleted because this forum is "English Only". There are as many versions of English as there are people speaking it. King's (or now Queen's) English itself has changed greatly since the Middle Ages and is itself a mishmash of several languages of its conquerors.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
USA has a few dialects of English and I have heard them all but some are difficult for me to understand, Southerners, Hillbillies and Bostoners.
My country is Canada with three languages, English, French from Quebec and Newfoundlanders. The French from Quebec is different to the French from France that I learned in school. My neighbours are from the island of Newfoundland and I joke with them about their "thick" Irish accent.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Regarding the subject of the title, I do think there should be standards for posting expert and instructional materials on this site, as such posting implies imprimatur by AAC.

For something posted as an Article or Instructional Video, I think there should be a review and credit line as there is for academic publications. Anonymous authorship for expert articles and instructional materials just doesn't cut it with me and would reflect poorly on AAC for allowing it. Video material must be under the control of AAC. YouTube and presumably other providers have authority to remove whatever they want with or without cause. Personally, I would allow a good video in non-English so long as there were subtitles. In fact, I prefer subtitles for critical points even for English, but maybe that is just a matter of age.

On the other hand, materials that don't meet whatever standard is adopted should be allowed to be posted in an individual's blog (assuming the material complies with AAC's TOS). Since it is an individual's blog, I would also allow off-site hosting of video. The rules for English and subtitles should still apply. One problem with non-English material is the difficulty to determine whether it complies with AAC's TOS.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Down here in the Low Country we have a dialect called Geechee. It is the pidgin English spoken by the descendants of African slaves. Unfortunately "Political Correctness" has resulted in the books written in that dialect to be "Modernized" ie translated from their original form. Such as the Brer Rabbit tales have been. Geechee is slowly becoming a thing of the past and is now considered to be Primitive and Uncivilized. Yet it is still spoken and you hear traces of it in everyday language. The song Kumbaya (come by here) is a small example of it. The Arcadians who went to Louisiana from Canada also speak a different French dialect as do Haitians.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
... I don't think that's any excuse for letting your personal feelings cause you to lash out at someone who hasn't done anything wrong. As far as I'm concerned, there's no place here for that kind of attitude.
I have no dog in this fight. Haven't heard the video, couldn't care less except for idle curiosity.

But your statement made me do a spit-take with my coffee. Can you not see the hypocrisy of you freely expressing your opinion of disgust while simultaneously chastising AG for expressing his? What did he do "wrong" to warrant your complaint? He expressed an opinion! An opinion that shows he cares about the technical quality of materials people find at this site. I may not agree with things people write here but I have no desire to declare "there's no place here" for free speech.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
I have no dog in this fight. Haven't heard the video, couldn't care less except for idle curiosity.

But your statement made me do a spit-take with my coffee. Can you not see the hypocrisy of you freely expressing your opinion of disgust while simultaneously chastising AG for expressing his? What did he do "wrong" to warrant your complaint? He expressed an opinion! An opinion that shows he cares about the technical quality of materials people find at this site. I may not agree with things people write here but I have no desire to declare "there's no place here" for free speech.
The difference as I see it is that I'm bothered by a specific attitude and way of treating people that he has exhibited here, which I think is inappropriate. He's bothered by a whole population of people because he thinks they need to look like him and sound like him. I have no quarrel with him improving "the technical quality of materials people find at this site." If the actual descriptions of electrical properties aren't up to our standards, or if the audio quality is distractingly difficult, that sort of critique should be welcome. However, I don't think it's appropriate to tell someone that, if you don't like their accent (because it reminds you of phone scammers, and you've lumped all people with that accent into one category of potential criminals,) that they should only post videos on different websites in their own country and/or language.

His idea is based on negative stereotypes of whole races or cultures, where mine is based on the idea that we should resist such stereotypes and treat people as individuals with respect.

In general, I welcome free speech and healthy debate. Nevertheless, I think some attitudes exist only to exclude others, and I don't think those attitudes should be welcome in an open forum. I understand where you're coming from with the hypocrisy claim, but I think the differences I described above are very relevant to this discussion, and I stand by my views.

For what it's worth, I tried to make it clear that he, and most of what he has to say generally, are welcome here. I didn't try to escalate this with anyone, or suggest that moderators shut him down. I didn't try to exclude him. I only asked him to refrain from certain types of commentary that would make other contributors feel unwelcome for no good reason. If that's hypocrisy, I guess I'll have to live with that.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
His idea is based on negative stereotypes of whole races or cultures, where mine is based on the idea that we should resist such stereotypes and treat people as individuals with respect.

In general, I welcome free speech and healthy debate. Nevertheless, I think some attitudes exist only to exclude others, and I don't think those attitudes should be welcome in an open forum.
Those are both reasonable and civilized positions, maybe even laudable, but they really are just opinions.

Boorish speech may say more about the person speaking than about the topic at hand, but I'd still rather have an environment where people are free to express themselves, warts and all. I do agree that ad hominem attacks can resemble assault and are inappropriate here. Figuring out where to draw the line is never easy.

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Those are both reasonable and civilized positions, maybe even laudable, but they really are just opinions.

Boorish speech may say more about the person speaking than about the topic at hand, but I'd still rather have an environment where people are free to express themselves, warts and all. I do agree that ad hominem attacks can resemble assault and are inappropriate here. Figuring out where to draw the line is never easy.
It sounds like we might disagree on exactly where that line should be, but I certainly agree that figuring it out is never easy, and it tends to be a moving target.

Luckily, I'm not a moderator, so I don't have to make lots of decisions on this stuff. I'll occasionally voice an opinion when I feel it's important, but I'm not the ultimate decision maker, and I'm glad for that!

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
AFAIK, the english language includes many roots of early Sanskrit and Avestan words,
so ,what has happened to people from these origins who are not able to observe right accent,rules and standards? I don't know...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.