Stability of control systems

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
I don't know what is the appropriate section to post this thread in.
If we have two stable systems but one is more stable than the other, why should we choose the more stable and which benefit we can have.
Is the percent overshoot related to stability?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Depends on the application. If we are talking high performance jet fighters, they are inherently unstable for performance reasons, and require fly-by-wire control systems, because a human operator cannot react fast enough in certain maneuvers.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The generally is a tradeoff between stability and response time of the system.
So how stable to make the system depends upon the requirements.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
If the more stable system meets your performance requirements then use it. Overshoot is an indicator of stability; the more overshoot the less stability.
Stability is more of a binary thing. If the roots are in the left half plane the system is stable. As a root locus will reveal, the system parameters may allow the system to become unstable. It might be more correct to say that overshoot is an indicator of stability margin. The more overshoot you have the closer you are to instability.

محمد نور

Joined Dec 17, 2016
Stability is more of a binary thing. If the roots are in the left half plane the system is stable. As a root locus will reveal, the system parameters may allow the system to become unstable. It might be more correct to say that overshoot is an indicator of stability margin. The more overshoot you have the closer you are to instability.
Thanks for clear answer.
I have another question.What indications the root locus can provide?i.e. if given the root locus, what can I know about the system, in addition to the stability of the system?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Thanks for clear answer.
I have another question.What indications the root locus can provide?i.e. if given the root locus, what can I know about the system, in addition to the stability of the system?
The root locus provides you with an indication of how close the system might be to instability. More importantly it allows you to propose fixes for stability by the introduction of compensating poles and zeros.

http://parlos.tamu.edu/MEEN651/E28.pdf

drc_567

Joined Dec 29, 2008
A somewhat amazing characteristic of a root locus plot is that the plant performance point, being on the locus path, is influenced in a manner that is similar to static electric charges lying on a plane. In a sense, the pole positions repel the locus point, and the zeros attract. The system gain magnitude determines the distance that the plant performance point travels along the locus from its origin at a pole.

Here is a tool that was one of the original instruments used to draw root locus diagrams:
http://www.nzeldes.com/HOC/Spirule.htm