SSID proximity garage door opener

3BJeep

Joined Jan 2, 2019
I would like to use the wifi signal that my car puts out to open my garage door when the wifi signal is in range and maybe close the door when the signal is lost. Any suggestions on doing this?

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
WIFI seems a bit overkill for this... It'd probably be easier to just use radio control (like a remote control car). If it opens when the radio signal is on, the garage door will ALWAYS be open when the car is in the garage, which seems to kinda defeat the purpose of having a door to begin with. However, you could pretty easily modify a cheap remote control toy to let you control the garage door opener motor with the controller from that. That would let you, ya know, CLOSE the door while the car is there, haha.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
I just realized the wifi signal would most likely turn off with your car as you would most likely have it connected to the car's power through the cigarette lighter or something... Oops, haha. I still think radio control would be easier though.

3BJeep

Joined Jan 2, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to control the opening of the door without having to push a button/carry a separate remote in the vehicle. This conversation came up during a discussion about the Chevy Bolt not having a built in garage door button (like many new cars do) and so using a NodeMCU board to recognize the car’s SSID when it comes in range and then open the garage door.

3BJeep

Joined Jan 2, 2019
I do have a door opener. I will check when I get home and then post the brand. It is going to be an old one. I would guess twenty-five plus years old.

the_arachnid

Joined Jan 3, 2019
So I was digging around on youtube and found this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Wir...32619209658.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.PNL0WH

It has a transmitter that runs on 12v and a receiver that can output mains voltage. You could pretty easily buy that, solder over where the button is on the transmitter, and connect the transmitter to either the just the cigarette lighter socket thing if you don't wanna open up the car computer or go inside and hook it up inside of the car computer itself to supply the necessary 12v. Then you could have the receiver hooked up to either an arduino or an on/off circuit, whether you prefer to code or wire is up to you. That would be so the receiver would tell either the arduino or the circuit that the signal was coming or not coming so when it's in close enough proximity with the transmitter it will open but then also when the signal is lost it will close the door. This is because if the motor is hooked up directly to the receiver then losing transmitter signal would just cut power to the garage door opener motor, leaving the door open as opposed to closing it first.

3BJeep

Joined Jan 2, 2019
It is a Stanley 8500.51C. I’ll take a look at that remote that you suggested. What I am hoping for is something that I can mount to the garage door opener (or somewhere close) and connect to the door opener terminals. When it senses the SSID from the car it will trigger the door motor.