Sprinkler system controller board fuse identification

bobthedino83

Joined Apr 21, 2019
Hi everyone, rank amateur here.
I received this sprinkler controller with a 120VAC input transformer (output being 2x 12v 1A) and didn't notice that it couldn't handle my mains 220V - this is the first transformer I've bought from the US that couldn't handle 120-240V.

Connected the transformer wires to the controller, turned it on, noticed audible buzz from transformer, turned it off. Noticed my error, fetched the electrical meter and a step down voltage converter (for my imported resistive load tools) and tried again, board would not power on.
No-load voltage of transformer is 27V, on 220V mains it's double that, so the transformer still works?

Board has a fuse labeled 'FUSE1'. It's not a fuse that I recognise, the etching on top appears to say '100' and '(Beta symbol)B6'. (see attached image)

It doesn't look like it can be replaced without soldering, is this a single use fuse or something that just needs a while to cool down after it's done it's job?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

IMG_20190421_135623.jpg

bobthedino83

Joined Apr 21, 2019

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
doubling your voltage could damage components including regulators. Diodes and capacitors. Looks like that fuse is rated for 30v also.

bobthedino83

Joined Apr 21, 2019
That would be correct.
If you are not getting the power LED to come on I would suspect components D2,D3, C23 and even RV3.
Check the resistance across RV3. RV3 looks like it may be a varistor across the AC input.
What's the make and model number of the controller?
SG

Resistance across RV3 is 3.2 Ohms, good or bad? o_O

The controller is a Hunter HC-1200i.

bobthedino83

Joined Apr 21, 2019
That would be correct.
If you are not getting the power LED to come on I would suspect components D2,D3, C23 and even RV3.
Check the resistance across RV3. RV3 looks like it may be a varistor across the AC input.
What's the make and model number of the controller?
SG
C23 resistance is 686
D2 is 669
D3 is 747

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
For diodes you need the diode check selection on your multimeter. Then probe it in one direction and then reverse the probes. It should not conduct in one direction and drop 0.25-0.7V in the other.

If it conducts in both directions it’s bad or something in the circuit may be parallel with it on the board.

narkeleptk

Joined Mar 11, 2019
I usually remove these items when checking them. Slightly lifting one side off of the pad works as well. In-circuit testing doesn't usually give the greatest of results.

The diodes you would want to check how wolframore suggested. The big capacitor I don't think would be bad but you'd want to check capacitance.
This should be data sheet for it:http://www.lelon.com.tw/upload/prod/151003304325.pdf

Last edited: