Splicing into an existing USB connection??

Darkmaz

Joined Sep 18, 2020
Hello all! Here is my situation and question:

I have a razer Orbweaver (it is a user interface, additional keyboard of sorts. see the link if you need more details) It connects to the PC via a USB connection. I am adding an analog thumbstick project to the factory device (I have already completed a couple and this is not the part I have questions about) The addon project connects to a Teensy 4.0 board which is connected to the PC via a Micro USB(from the Teensy) to USB 3(to the PC). My question is: Can I just solder a splice into the existing USB connection within the device and into the Teensy? Basically handling all of the wiring internally and just using the existing USB cord already attached to the device for the whole thing? I'm not familiar enough with USB to know if this would be bad or not.

https://www2.razer.com/au-en/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-orbweaver-chroma

Thanks

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I'm not familiar enough with USB to know if this would be bad or not.
You can only do something like that for power. If you need to be USB compliant, you need to only draw one load unless you negotiate for more. Data from different devices would need to go through a hub.

Darkmaz

Joined Sep 18, 2020
Welcome to AAC!
You can only do something like that for power. If you need to be USB compliant, you need to only draw one load unless you negotiate for more. Data from different devices would need to go through a hub.
I see... so would it be feasible for me to make my own Hub internally in the device? I hate having the multiple USB cables out of the device to the PC

scorbin1

Joined Dec 24, 2019
I have cannibalized USB hubs in the past, basically taking their internals and putting them inside other devices. As long as the hub and attached devices don't exceed the power budget of the port you are plugging into. If they do, the hubs often require an external power source. You could look at introducing a USB hub IC such as the TUSB2046B, however these may require external components and could be more trouble than it's worth. I haven't dug into this, but I would think they might make an IC that requires only power and the USB connections.