Speaker

jgurganus

Joined Dec 14, 2006
I would like for someone to tell me or send me instructions on how to build a speaker. I have always been interested in these handy little items that so many take for granted. Most any kind to build will suffice. Thanks

EEMajor

Joined Aug 9, 2006
This information is more for those interested in building serious speakers, maybe thats what you want. There are also sites on building "Science Fair" speakers too, which are you interested in?

Basically, it is simply a fixed coil around a moving magnet, which magnet is connected to some sort of cone to move the air. They are really simple devices, when it comes down to the theory of operation.

http://www.scrounge.org/speak/speak.htm

mrmeval

Joined Jun 30, 2006
Get a sheet of plastic and mount it in a frame. Make a coil of near the right impedance (24" of 30awg will do as the next article states) and glue this to the center of the sheet. Now mount the magnet on another support and affix that support to the frame so the magnet is near the coil.
Try it. :)

Or this http://www.coolmagnetman.com/magelect.htm

Make A Speaker! expt.gif (888 bytes)

Have you ever wanted to make your very own, working speaker? Here's a great way to make one, and it's simple, too! I am grateful to Michael Gasperi for his suggestion and for this kit that he created.
The materials you will need are:

* 24" of 30AWG enamel magnet wire (from Radio Shack, p/n 278-1345B)
* 1.5" brass-coated steel brad
* ceramic magnet, 0.5" diameter, 3/16" thick (from Radio Shack, p/n 64-1883)
* a 1.5" square piece of 100 grit sandpaper
* a styrofoam cup

Take the wire, leave about 4" for a connection lead, and wrap the rest of it around the brad near its head. Keep the coil on the brad within 3/16" of the head as shown below. Again, leave about 4" at the end of the winding in order to make a connection to the coil.

Now, place the magnet under the head (it will stick to the head of the brad) and press the brad into the bottom of the styrofoam cup. Separate the two tines of the brad and press them against the inside bottom of the cup as shown here.

Finally, take the sandpaper and clean about 3/4" of each end of the wires from the coil in order to remove the enamel insulation so you can make an electrical connection to the coil. That's it! Just connect the two ends of the coil to a radio jack and you'll be able to hear the music.

If you want, find an old, unused set of headphones and cut off the plug with some of the wire attached to it. Solder the pair of wire ends to the ends of the coil (one insulated wire to one end of the coil, the other wire of the pair to the other end of the coil). Then you can plug it in directly. (You could also buy a 1/8" mini plug with alligator clips from Radio Shack, p/n 42-2421, and clip that onto the ends of the coil.)

Søren

Joined Sep 2, 2006
Hi,

I hope the rest is more valid than his statement on a page:

"Inside your ear is a tiny piece of skin called the ear drum when it vibrates from the sound waves it sends a message to your brain and that is how we hear.
Rapid ear drum sound wave movement makes loud sound"

I can (sort of) accept the oversimplification and somewhat childish "sends a message..." part, from a layman, but rapid movement equates to high frequencies, not loud sound.