Sourcing parts for my custom led panels.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
I am making something similar to the Nanoleaf panels but on larger scale (also not triangular and I'm not selling them either!)
To make them, I want to use led panels kind of like this, but changing the leds to individually adressable. Unfortunately, they are quite expensive, and six of them is out of my price range.
I then recently say a video where a guy uses the backlight from a tv as a fake daylight window. Because I want six separate panels, I thought to use computer monitors instead. However, I can't find any broken monitors anywhere- I have looked on eBay (there are some on there but it's often bid only and collection only), craigslist even Gumtree and there's nothing. And due to (fairly) new rules and regulations, I am no longer able to just pop to my local tip and take a few monitors from there.
The last idea i had was to just get some acrylic cut to size, however, the cheapest I found for 6 600x600m sheets was about 95 quid. Not much different from buying the led panels - possibly more expensive!

If anyone can recommend somewhere to get some of these things or how to get them, I would really appreciate it because I've hit brick wall.

Thanks,
Bod

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Our local municipalities often have special rubbish events yearly or twice a year. The events include hazardous waste, shredding, and computer stuff. You might check into your local waste management. Last year, I got rid of a perfectly functional, large format, HP inkjet boat anchor. One sees lots of monitors there.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
Our local municipalities often have special rubbish events yearly or twice a year. The events include hazardous waste, shredding, and computer stuff. You might check into your local waste management. Last year, I got rid of a perfectly functional, large format, HP inkjet boat anchor. One sees lots of monitors there.
It seems to be a bit different in other countries. here in the UK, our local waste managment is what we call a 'tip' or a 'dump'. Like I mentioned in my original post, we are no longer allowed to take stuff from there which is very sad because it was always a good supply of electronics.

Thanks for the suggestion though!