soundeffects, do not really understand

Muffns

Joined Jul 24, 2021
hi
I am quite new in the field and have only done a few simple sound projects with adafruit fx board with good results. Now I'm working on a new project but I'm stomping, what I want to do is:

I want to trigger a sound that loops and while it is playing affect the sound. Pitch, volume and speed.

my idea is to start from an adafruit fx, I know how I affect the volume but am completely lost when it comes to speed and pitch.

does anyone know where I can read about this? Or someone who can explain?

thanks in advance
Muffns

Muffns

Joined Jul 24, 2021
Sounds like what I'm after, tho it doesn't really matter. The idea is just to effect the sound i different way and a phaser seems good. But, the circuits i find looks way out of my league...Maybe there is some experiment card / kit I can buy. do not dare to solder one myself.

Muffns

Joined Jul 24, 2021
Will check later, tanks. Just got an idea, i found some simple voice changers. If I change the microphone to a line in and feed sound from the adafruit in to the voice changer. Its a compromise because I don't get the sounds i like but I can at least start the prototyping and the price and simplicity of the voice changer is appealing.

https://www.electrokit.com/produkt/rostforvrangare/

Veracohr

Joined Jan 3, 2011
I don’t know how the discussion went from volume/speed/pitch to phasers, but to the original question: you can affect pitch and speed together without much difficulty by changing the playback sample rate. But changing one without the other requires some major DSP.

Muffns

Joined Jul 24, 2021
Hi,
haha I don't really know what sounds i want, that's why. My goal is to effect the sound in verious ways that's all.

Okey I see, then I believe that my latest idé to use a voice changer is the way for me for a start at least.

Need to read and understand more before I try to plan oit my on circuits.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Cher's song "I Believe" has the pitch of her voice sometimes severely adjusted with AUTO-TUNE, not with phase shifting.
Drake and many other singers who cannot sing (worth a damn) in tune also use AUTO-TUNE.
Frequently AUTO-TUNE is very obvious and sounds like the pitch is adjusted with a keyboard.

I think Frankie Avalon could not sing in tune so he was the first singer to use AUTO-TUNE.
A guitar has frets that act like a keyboard so AUTO-TUNE is not needed.

Robot voices usually use a single monotone pitch.