sound card pulse generator with 2500 Hz carrier frequency

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
I need a bipolar pulse generator with 2500 Hz carrier frequency that generates 2-10 msec pulses with 2-10 Hz repitition rate and amplitude of 5-20 V. I’m thinking about using sound card and amplify the signal with 10W or so audio power amp. I’m looking for free or cheap software that can run the sound card. Any suggestions are appreciated.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Here is free software I wrote that takes data from a simple text file (or spreadsheet file) and makes a 30 second wave file;
http://www.romanblack.com/wavmak.htm

It will let you generate any waveform including one-off events etc, provided the soundcard output at 44.1kHz is fast enough for your needs.

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Roman,
Thanks. It looks great. Can I make files longer than 30 sec? I need 10 min file.
Alex

Here is free software I wrote that takes data from a simple text file (or spreadsheet file) and makes a 30 second wave file;
http://www.romanblack.com/wavmak.htm

It will let you generate any waveform including one-off events etc, provided the soundcard output at 44.1kHz is fast enough for your needs.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello Alex,

In audacity you can also make loops.
When the part is played it jumps back to the start of a selected piece of soundfile.

Greetings,
Bertus

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Hello Bertus,
I downloaded the program and played with it a bit. It looks like it’s perfect for my application. Thanks again.
Alex
I
Hello Alex,

In audacity you can also make loops.
When the part is played it jumps back to the start of a selected piece of soundfile.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Neat application. Wonder how hard it would be to turn into a signal generator? I'll have to give it try someday.

alexv

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Neat application. Wonder how hard it would be to turn into a signal generator? I'll have to give it try someday.

I think it depends on your application. You can adjust frequency and amplitude but it has very limited capabilities when it comes to the shape
of the signal.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
For Bill_Marsden; There is a free PC soundcard signal generator on this site;
http://www.natch.co.uk/downloads/SigJenny/SigJenny.html

it works ok for lowish frequencies (up to 2kHz) but the sinewaves get a little funky above that due to aliasing as it can only produce samples at 44.1kHz. So if you set it to make a 5kHz sine it will be a little bumpy, and a 20kHz sine is only 2 samples so you get the point.

It's pretty handy for testing PC speakers with subwoofers, you can easily dial in the frequency and see where your woofer or room resonates.

For alexV; re my WavMak program, it makes a 30 second .WAV sound file, but you just select "loop" or "repeat" in winamp and it plays continually. It might make a little glitch every 30 seconds when it loops but generally for testing with a scope or something that doesn't matter.