Sony Trinitron PVM-1340 Repair Help

yanks213x

Joined May 30, 2018
Hello All,

I have a Sony Trinitron PVM-1340 that is in need of repair. When it's plugged in, I press the power button the light turns green and a few seconds later the light turns off. The screen does not turn on but i'm assuming it's not getting power. I will provide some pictures later but am hoping to at least get a starting point of what to look at.

Thank you

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You won't get far, in my opinion, without a service manual for this model. It'll have a schematic and probably a bunch of procedures to follow to diagnose a problem just like the one you have. It's worth your time to search for it. If it's hard to find it may take a while, but again, it's worth it.

It probably is getting power but the main computer is shutting it down because it sees something it doesn't like - a sensor misbehaving or a bad voltage somewhere, something like that.

Have you ever worked on a TV before? There are safety issues.

yanks213x

Joined May 30, 2018
Thank you very much! I'll look through this and see what I can figure out. I have never repaired a TV before but I'm aware that the bulb coil thingy keeps electrical current even if it's unplugged. I've had it unplugged now for several months so I'm thinking it should be okay.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
yeah that service manual is latin to me lol
I haven’t read it but it may address diagnostic procedures or maybe getting the LED to flash an error code. The schematic may show voltages to look for, “test points” labeled TP. But every one is different. One step at a time.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Could it be the power supply capacitors? How do you test them to see if they are functioning correctly.
Yes, that’s a fairly common failure mode. You can test them with an ESR meter but it’s often easier to simply replace them. But a failure of the power supply should show up downstream also. Unfortunately that’s above my pay grade unless I have a manual to follow.