some doubts about 8051 mcu

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I think Sst89e516rd2 microcontroller can be placed on the board given in the link

https://www.amazon.in/Silicon-TechnoLabs-Development-P89V51RD2-SST89E516RD/dp/B014SIQ8SM

my question is related to how to program the Sst89e516rd2 microcontroller on this board.

The board is supplied with on board programmer but I do not have the dub9 cable

Is it possible to use below module to program Sst89e516rd2

CP2102 chip is a single chip USB to UART module
https://www.electronicscomp.com/cp2...wioaVUJfOj11zayzVe01c6Bzk8Ebf7zhoCmRcQAvD_BwE

How to connect the module to the board if possible?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
i don't know what do you mean by USB virtual serial port regarding to the mcu program. Can you explain please
Once upon a time there were PCs that had serial communication ports. At some point they declined in popularity in favor of USB ports. USB is a more complicated protocol especially for legacy micro controllers which have limited resources. The bright guys at FTDI came up with a USB to serial converter chip and the even brighter guys doing windows development came up with the idea of a virtual serial port that looks like a serial port to a windows application and beomes an actual serial port at the microcontroller end. It is all quite straightforward.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
My question would be why are you bothering with an ancient microcontroller? If you are trying to learn, use a more modern one like PIC or ATtiny or ATmega.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
My question would be why are you bothering with an ancient microcontroller? If you are trying to learn, use a more modern one like PIC or ATtiny or ATmega.
I agree with you.

I'm currently looking for a solution of problem. I have problem and I have suggested solution of problem but I am not sure if it works.

Anybody can clarify, can we use CP2102 module to program Sst89e516rd2 on the board?

garce

Joined Apr 10, 2017
I agree with you.

I'm currently looking for a solution of problem. I have problem and I have suggested solution of problem but I am not sure if it works.

Anybody can clarify, can we use CP2102 module to program Sst89e516rd2 on the board?
Yes it will work fine. Just connect TX, RX and GND pins from the CP2102 converter to pins 2, 3 and 5 from the DB9 connector on the 8052 board.

But keep in mind that the RS232 serial port is used for communication to a PC (like with a terminal program).

To actually download a program to the microcontroller you are going to need a ISP Programmer made by Atmel/Microchip that connects to the 6-pin connector shown on the schematic

Last edited:

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Yes it will work fine. Just connect TX, RX and GND pins from the CP2102 converter to pins 2, 3 and 5 from the DB9 connector on the 8052 board.
Is it possible to connect TX, RX and GND pins from the CP2102 converter to pins RX, TX, GND of microcontroller on board using jumpers wires to program microcontroller?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need to program a random MCU from a PC with a USB port?

Here is what you need. Yet the success of the effort is still uncertain.

1) PC with USB port
2) PC with programming software
3) CP2102 USB-to-UART bridge
4) Target MCU with a programming port that accepts UART programming command
5) or programming MCU that accepts UART programming command and programs target MCU

garce

Joined Apr 10, 2017
Is it possible to connect TX, RX and GND pins from the CP2102 converter to pins RX, TX, GND of microcontroller on board using jumpers wires to program microcontroller?
Yes, you are right! and that would be the right thing to do since the TX and RX are TTL (5V) signals (not RS232 levels) on the USB virtual comm port module. Connect them to the microcontroller but you will need to disconnect the MAX232 chip that is driving the same lines, maybe cut the the TX and RX traces.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
Here is what you need. Yet the success of the effort is still uncertain.
1) PC with USB port :
YES I have
2) PC with programming software
Yes EasyIAP https://exploreembedded.com/wiki/Starter_SST89E516RD_USB_Development_board
3) CP2102 USB-to-UART bridge
Yes I have

5) or programming MCU that accepts UART programming command and programs target MCU

I didn't understand last two points, can you please explain

Sst89e516rd2 has UART but it need to configure to access UART command from external source

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019

I didn't understand last two points, can you please explain
Some microcontrollers have self-programming features. This means you can change program data without a special programmer device. But you must have some piece of softrware, called "bootloader" previously written on this microcontroller. If there is no bootloader written on your MCU then you need some programmer device, for example AVRISP.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
I am powering the board directly from the 12 dc adapter. I have connected CP2102 in to computer

I need the following connections

1. CP2102's VCC pin to the 5V power supply of the 8051 system.
  2. CP2102's GND pin to the ground pin of the 8051 system.
  3. CP2102's TXD pin to the RXD pin of the 8051 microcontroller.
  4. CP2102's RXD pin to the TXD pin of the 8051 microcontroller.

I don't understand where to connect CP2102's VCC pin and CP2102's GND pin on the board?

Last edited:

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
I don't understand where to connect CP2102's VCC pin and CP2102's GND pin on the board?
I don't have scematics of your devboard but as i see in the picture there are headers for 5V and GND connections and there is also a ICSP header with GND and VCC pins. If you provide power from 12V source then you must connect only GND wire, do not connect VCC with board! If you provide power from USB device only then you must connect VCC to 5V header or to VCC ti ICSP header

trebla

Joined Jun 29, 2019
You must also remove both jumpers on JP4 to disconnect MAX232 from MCU. So if you power this board from 12V power supply you must only connect CP1202 GND to board GND, leave VCC disconnected as i wrote above.

Kittu20

Joined Oct 12, 2022
You must also remove both jumpers on JP4 to disconnect MAX232 from MCU. So if you power this board from 12V power supply you must only connect CP1202 GND to board GND, leave VCC disconnected as i wrote above.
i have only two doubts

1) if I connect TX, RX and GND and don't connect CP2102's VCC pin to board. Can the MCU still be programmed?

2) If I supply 5DC to the board, can i program my MCU with this wiring connection.

1. CP2102's VCC pin to the VCC of ICSP.
  2. CP2102's GND pin to the ground pin of ICSP.
  3. CP2102's TXD pin to the RXD pin of the 8051 microcontroller.
  4. CP2102's RXD pin to the TXD pin of the 8051 microcontroller.

I just don't want to damage my board so just want to make sure wiring connection