[Solved] How does the following circuit work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
Learn about a 4-Bit-Counter-Chip,
then learn about a 4-Bit-Display-Driver.
You can also get everything You need on one Chip.
Do a Duck-Duck-Go Images Search,
you'll find several hundred different ways to do it.
There's at least several dozen Kits that You can buy
that include everything You need to build your own DIY-Counter-Display.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I would like to know all about the operation of the following 0-99 counter circuit. Everything that happens before the numbers come out on the displays. IS NOT A HOMEWORK .
Circuit in question:
1629311769700.png
Do yourself a favor and never pay attention to circuits that provide wiring cartoons instead of a proper schematic.

Without taking the time to trace the connections, two binary counters are being used to count from 0-9 with the counter on the right providing the clock to the one on the left. The counter outputs each drive a BCD to seven segment decoder.

You can do a 3 digit decade counter with one MC14553 and one decoder, plus the LED displays and transistors to multiplex the digits.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Circuit in question:
View attachment 245952
Do yourself a favor and never pay attention to circuits that provide wiring cartoons instead of a proper schematic.
I second that sentiment. Using and propagating wiring cartoons marks you as someone not willing to put in the effort to learn what you need to learn.
Not that you are that way you understand, but that is the impression it creates.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
IS NOT A HOMEWORK.
That is music to my ears!
Unfortunately visiting the site as well as the photos posted I cannot read the six IC's used in the cartoon!
I'll be more than happy to tell you exactly what is happening before the numbers come out on the display .
:)
I know this is not a classroom but I cannot resist the enthusiasm for one who seeks knowledge in electronics with all due respect!

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
Considering what the circuit is supposed to be doing I can kind of guesstimate what those IC's are. I'm sure I have had something similar on my breadboard at some point while learning about stuff.

Edit: Oh...and it was not homework.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Schematics are for old people, young people like pictures.
Most young people post the photo of a tangled mess of wires on a solderless breadboard.
Lately, some young people post a negative schematic that has faint dark gray lines on a black background. Nothing can be seen.
Datasheets from manufacturers do not make these hopeless pictures.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I clicked through to the linked page. There is no schematic. Without a schematic, all responses you get will be guesswork. To paraphrase Rear Admiral Joshua Painter:

"Engineers don't take a dump, son, without a schematic."

ak

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Schematics are for old people, young people like pictures.
You can't discern function with cartoon wiring diagrams, particularly with ones that are poorly drawn. No one is going to be thrilled to have to look up pin function and trace the wires, that cross components, to figure out how things have been wired.

These young people you refer to must be working at the likes of Texas Instruments now. I've noticed a significant decline in the usefulness of their datasheets. The one for HC93 didn't even include a logic diagram, that have been included since the 70's, and I had to use the pinout figure to determine that it was indeed functionally equivalent to the LS93 counter I implemented for the logic simulator I prefer.

This is what I surmised the circuit referenced to be. Function is *much* easier to discern at a glance.
1629425146811.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I think it is misguided to refer to these photo shots of bread board layouts as 'Cartoon Circuits'.

They are very helpful and useful for any one learning electronics, of course it is always helpful if the poster also includes a circuit schematic.

Often when helping a TS, we ask him/her to post a photo shot of their bread board layout, so that we can help them debug their project.

IMO they serve a useful purpose and posters should not be discouraged in using them.

E

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
A beginner at electronics should learn to read properly drawn schematics as a basic skill. Most of us have this already but don't really think about it much. Cartoon circuits can be helpful but if you learn your electronics with them you will be at a loss when you come across a real schematic. I have also seen breadboard photo's that have made me cringe. Basic skills you need them in any hobby or profession.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
Cartoon circuits can be helpful but if you learn your electronics with them you will be at a loss when you come across a real schematic.
hi zophas,
No where did I suggest a beginner learn electronics by using bread board wiring layout images.
I said "They are very helpful and useful for any one learning electronics"

If a posted bread board image is 'cringe worthy', that's not a fault with the method, but a fault of the photographer.

E

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The breadboarded circuit shown in this thread is not a photo with many tangled long wires all over the place as is usually shown. Instead is a neat and tidy computer-made layout of wiring on a breadboard.
It is missing important power supply decoupling capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.