[Solved] How does the following circuit work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi agu,
Missing caps, agreed, but are they shown on the bread board builders schematic.??

Pleased you agree that this particular BB image is readable, even with our tired old eyes.:)

E

BTW: the decoupling caps are missing in the post #14 schematic.:rolleyes:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I think it is misguided to refer to these photo shots of bread board layouts as 'Cartoon Circuits'.
Have to disagree. Or agree that "cartoon" is not the right word because it is not strong enough.

Nowhere in the history of any engineering discipline is there a requirement that it be easy for beginners. It isn't. It is hard. And EE is the hardest of them all. Like any specialized field of the sciences, arts, trades, or whatever, it has its own language. Critical to communication within any discipline is a command of its language, and in EE that is a well-drawn, annotated schematic. You don't get to invent your own addition symbol in the first grade, and you don't get to reinvent circuit representation here.

To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, a schematic isn't everything, it's the only thing.

And to paraphrase Rear Admiral Joshua Painter:

"Engineers don't take a dump, son, without a schematic."

ak

Re-reading this, it comes across as a bit hard or strident. That tone is not my intent, but I stand by the content.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
BTW: the decoupling caps are missing in the post #14 schematic.
That schematic is from a logic simulator. It doesn't have capacitors. It also doesn't care if you mix TTL and CMOS, deal with signal loading issues, use component designators, show pin numbers, ...

It's still far superior in conveying circuit intent. A hand drawn block diagram would be better than the cartoon that was referenced. Notice the 3 wires that cross over the CD4511's that look like they could connect inputs and outputs.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi analog,
There seems to be problem in reading what I have posted.

No where do I say that:
Nowhere in the history of any engineering discipline is there a requirement that engineering be easy for beginners.

I said "They are very helpful and useful for any one learning electronics"

Nothing about that engineering be easy for beginners.

If we are not here to help budding 'engineers', what's the purpose of this AAC Forum.???

Analog, this 'gripe' is not personalised at you, but it's a general observation, that responding posters don't read was has been said by fellow members.;)

E

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
I'll be honest, that is the neatest breadboard picture that I've seen so far in the few months that I've been on here. The problem for me is that the IC numbers were blurred.

We don't want to say that if something isn't 100% perfect then it is useless - Something can be better than nothing. Maybe everyone is getting too caught up with what they believe "real electronics" should look like rather than helping the TS?

The TS just wanted help understanding the operation of the circuit and got hit with, "the thing about young people is..." (A massive generalisation)

The picture is most likely from a simulation program that is built around looking like the physical objects. Some might argue that this is better than a schematic, but that is also just an opinion based on certain premises... It could also be the software that they have to use for their course.

We also don't want to be saying that if it is in schematic format that it is automatically better. Some schematics are horrible to look at. here

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
The Thread Starter and us cannot read the part number on the middle IC so he is hoping that somebody here has made that circuit and can tell him the number so he can look it up?

zophas

Joined Jul 16, 2021
I'm sure that the TinderCad diagrams have help a lot of people understand some circuits and I am sure that a lot of purists don't like the cartoon circuit approach. I am sure that most of us would have been willing to help the TS but he did not make the effort to post any follow up questions and it appears he has since moved on. Can someone please close this thread, because it really is going nowhere.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK for those who wish to see the numbers in the link. Click the Simulate below the image. A new image will come up. Now use your mouse scroll to enlarge the image.

Count.png

There is a partial reflecting the chip part numbers.

On another note the fellow I worked for and with the last 20 years of my career was a ME type (Mechanical) and always liked calling my schematics "cartoons" even though they were actually schematics but we both knew it was just humor. :)

Ron

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Schematics are for old people, young people like pictures.
In that case here is a really nice picture of a circuit. Now that you have it. Tell me what it does and how it does it.

TestTheory.PNG

While you are at it can you provide me a parts list? Or even simpler just identify the transistors on the board?:)

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
Hi, I would like to know all about the operation of the following 0-99 counter circuit. Everything that happens before the numbers come out on the displays. IS NOT A HOMEWORK.
https://www.tinkercad.com/things/l3TpvLt3VKs-contador-de-decadas
Just
Circuit in question:
View attachment 245952
Do yourself a favor and never pay attention to circuits that provide wiring cartoons instead of a proper schematic.

Without taking the time to trace the connections, two binary counters are being used to count from 0-9 with the counter on the right providing the clock to the one on the left. The counter outputs each drive a BCD to seven segment decoder.

You can do a 3 digit decade counter with one MC14553 and one decoder, plus the LED displays and transistors to multiplex the digits.
Better yet, use a small CPLD or FPGA, you can implement all the logic and even change it if you want to count up in Hex or just about anything else you can imagine. The days of using dedicated discrete digital logic IC chips are long past gone. They do every once in a while come in handy if you only need say an 'AND' gate function or similar and nothing else. In that case they come in small SMD parts. But for a counter, just use the display along with a CPLD or FPGA.

Last edited:

dcbingaman

Joined Jun 30, 2021
I do have to admit the virtual solderless breadboard is well shown after the part numbers are made clear. It may not be a schematic but it is not that bad to look at either after the IC part numbers are known. Your question is rather general. What is it that you don't exactly understand about the circuit operation?

click_here

Joined Sep 22, 2020
In that case here is a really nice picture of a circuit. Now that you have it. Tell me what it does and how it does it.

View attachment 246480

While you are at it can you provide me a parts list? Or even simpler just identify the transistors on the board?:)
That is a classic example of a False Continuum fallacy. (The continuum fallacy (also known as the sorites fallacy or the fallacy of grey) is the fallacy of assuming that the existence of a continuum of possible states between two binary positions means that said positions are not different. It is a form of equivocation: treating as equivalent two things that should not be treated as such. )

Those 2 things are very different, but are being presented as the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.