[SOLVED] Connecting the MCU to the Internet

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
I am curious to know how to connect microcontroller to internet.

If suppose I have a microcontroller from Cortex series , or from the PIC 32 series, how can it be connected to the internet?

It seems to me that to do this the wi-fi chip has to be connected. Do we have to connect a Wi-Fi chip with the microcontroller to connect to the Internet? I am just for asking to clear doubts

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That means my guess was right. It seems to me that if a microcontroller is to be connected to the Internet, the Wi-Fi chip must be connected with it.
Not precisely. It needs a network connection which might be wireless or wired, it could even be a serial connection rather than Ethernet. That connection is used by a TCP/IP stack—the low level software that provides the TCP/IP protocol capabilities, which allows the device to talk to a router. That router must have a connection to something that can talk to the Internet backbone. It will almost always be an ISP (Internet Service Provider) with the exceptions being almost on-existent.

So, the WiFi is a red herring, it’s just a piece of things, one way to enable it, it is not the solution itself.

If you use a WiFi ASIC, you will still need the software components, and something to route to the Internet itself.

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
Not precisely. It needs a network connection which might be wireless or wired, it could even be a serial connection rather than Ethernet. That connection is used by a TCP/IP stack—the low level software that provides the TCP/IP protocol capabilities, which allows the device to talk to a router. That router must have a connection to something that can talk to the Internet backbone. It will almost always be an ISP (Internet Service Provider) with the exceptions being almost on-existent.

So, the WiFi is a red herring, it’s just a piece of things, one way to enable it, it is not the solution itself.

If you use a WiFi ASIC, you will still need the software components, and something to route to the Internet itself.
I'm a little confused right now. Let's consider a situation in which I have a Wi-Fi router, Cortex MCU and a personal computer in my house. I enter user id and password to access internet in my PC then I can access internet in my PC.

Any microcontroller can't access internet directly, for that we need interface. If I connect the wi-fi chip to the microcontroller then internet can be accessed from the wifi router

my question is if i connect wi-fi chip to microcontroller can we access internet from wi-fi router

jgroves

Joined Nov 21, 2017
Yaakov is correct, WIFI is just a TCP/IP connection medium.

My MCU development boards have a RJ45 wired connection so I connect them to my router and that gives me external internet connection. I could use a WIFI connection or even Bluetooth as I have those features as well.

To answer your question, yes if you connect WIFI chip to your MCU you would be able to connect to the internet, once you have programmed it correctly.

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
Are you asking your question just out of academic interest or do you have a specific project in mind? If the latter, then you will get much more useful replies if you give us more information about what you are trying to achieve. The previous replies you have received, though perfectly accurate, are not much help in designing a practical solution to a specific problem! Ask a better question!

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I enter user id and password to access internet in my PC then I can access internet in my PC.

Any microcontroller can't access internet directly, for that we need interface. If I connect the wi-fi chip to the microcontroller then internet can be accessed from the wifi router
You seem to think there is a difference here. There is not. The pc also needs an interface and a router to access the internet. The interface just happened to be built in on your pc.

And the ESP32 is an example of a microcontroller with a built in in interface.

Bob

Pushkar1

Joined Apr 5, 2021
i got the answer of my question. if we connect WIFI chip to MCU we would be able to connect to the internet, This requires the microcontroller to be programmed correctly.

Many thanks to all of you guys. I was curious, so I asked this question.