[SOLVED] Binary counter not working

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I would not rewire a circuit five times or even once.
It is better to find your fault in your original wiring. This is how you learn from your mistakes.
If it did work after rewiring how would you know what mistake you made?

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
In both cases that you mentioned the counter is rolling over from 1's to 0, then a single 1. Something is causing this that you may have overlooked. Even 1 V of ground bounce can cause multiple triggering. These parts really need a printed circuit board. Failing that you can try debugging the connections at a slower speed.

I have to ask about how you're constructing these circuits.
On a breadboard but if it was denouncing isue it would not be only at specific timestimesq

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
I would not rewire a circuit five times or even once.
It is better to find your fault in your original wiring. This is how you learn from your mistakes.
If it did work after rewiring how would you know what mistake you made?
Yeah you are right but as far i can see i didn't make any mistake

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On a breadboard but if it was denouncing isue it would not be only at specific timestimesq
I think you might misunderstand. Ground bounce is not the same as debouncing. Ground bounce happens in fast TTL series chip like 74Fxxx and 74Sxxx chips when multiple outputs switch at the same time as when a counter rolls over from 1111 to 0000. It causes problems like what you are describing. There are many types of breadboards and the details matter.

Here is some additional information
https://www.electronics-tutorial.net/System-On-Chip/Power-Distribution/Supply-and-Ground-Bounce/

enjoykilian

Joined May 15, 2021
I think you might misunderstand. Ground bounce is not the same as debouncing. Ground bounce happens in fast TTL series chip like 74Fxxx and 74Sxxx chips when multiple outputs switch at the same time as when a counter rolls over from 1111 to 0000. It causes problems like what you are describing. There are many types of breadboards and the details matter.

Here is some additional information
https://www.electronics-tutorial.net/System-On-Chip/Power-Distribution/Supply-and-Ground-Bounce/
I found the problem it was in a hole other part of my build it was coused by a bad connection that was connected also to the leds