Soliciting suggestions for a hardware broadband router, no WiFi...

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
I didn’t, but the leading candidates are Microtik and MERAKI GO. The Microtik uses its own highly rated software and the MERAKI GO uses a customized PFSense. They are similarly priced and seem to have about the same number of fans.

Choosing a particular model is the current challenge. I do think one or the other would work for you, and it would make your LAN invisible to the modem (assuming you are not using WIFi from the modem/router, if equipped).
If looking for third party firewalls, check IPFire as well. I've experimented with it as it has an IDS in it. It was interesting to see the blocked site list (IP) grow based on probe attempts.
What you need is a small PC with two gigabit cards. I've also ran Microtik for a while (years ago), but found it a bit more cryptic to manage. Right now, I don't have a 3rd party firewall, still experimenting with them.
One comment, I never liked wifi extenders, of any type. They cut your bandwidth down and clog the wifi channels looking for clear spots. If necessary, run a point to point link that you can control and then a switch or separate wifi access point at the remote location.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Did you get a consensus on a router firewall alternative.
Like you , were looking at a 1 Gb fttp connection.
And I'd love to not use the firewall in the provided modem, way to many holes and back doors for my liking.
The operator just now told me how many Tvs and computers I had on the modem .. .. there argument was they own the modem so they can do what they want !
Most service providers will let you use your own cable modem as long as they can control it.
Buy a cable modem that has minimum, or no "features", other than DOCSIS. Then buy and install your own ethernet firewall router. What you'll end up with is a media converter (the modem) controlled by your provider, and a firewall router controlled by you. That way the provider can control the modem all they want (which is control over practically nothing). ;)

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
Most service providers will let you use your own cable modem as long as they can control it.
Buy a cable modem that has minimum, or no "features", other than DOCSIS. Then buy and install your own ethernet firewall router. What you'll end up with is a media converter (the modem) controlled by your provider, and a firewall router controlled by you. That way the provider can control the modem all they want (which is control over practically nothing). ;)
It's the fire wall in looking at. .I. The UK , virgin will only let you conect there router to the network. .