Solenoid to Arduino (12v-5V)

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
Im looking for specific Mosfet to allow connection between 12v of Solenoid to 5v arduino. Is Mosfet IRF640 type suitable for this connection?
Im gonna use 8 of solenoid valve that each of them using 0.2A therefore i might require mosfet with 4A current. Please guide me or give an ideas for this?

Mods edit:
Refer to another thread has been locked -- Urgent Help -Solenoid and arduino.

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
Logic gate Mosfet IRL630.
Max.

Sorry for interrupt, im having some inquiries. Using solenoid valve Normally Open 12V/02.A which is controlled by Arduino Mega because im gonna use 8 input of solenoid (8channel). Therefore im looking for mosfet that can carter for 4A of current. When im go through some datasheet im getting confius since a lot of ideas give variety type of Mosfet that i should use.

This is few Mosfet that i found :
-IR640
-IRL630
-IRF530

Which one should i refer? Or is there any info should im look in datasheet as my reference? Im sorry because im out of ideas how to refer through datasheet. Its thankful if someone share their knowledge to me about this. Im glad to hear from you all.

Best regards,
Faa

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
If you want to control each independently (8 channel) then you need a mosfet for EACH solenoid.
And you want a logic level mosfet so it will be fully on with only 5V

in one spot you said .2A in another you have 2A so...
With the IRL630 if your solenoid is .2A then you won't require a heatsink on the mosfet..
If the solenoid draws 2A then you will

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
According to my plan, I gonna connect one solenoid with one mosfet.. Is there any other solution to connect in one set or there is only option for me?

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
According to my plan, I gonna connect one solenoid with one mosfet.. Is there any other solution to connect in one set or there is only option for me?
While that solution uses more parts and perhaps takes more space, it is also the simplest and easiest to troubleshoot.

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
This is my sample circuit for arduino to solenoid. In case there is incorrect for connection let me know

Thanks!

3yNl0DY_Mizs Faa.png

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Are you going to tie the emitter of the 4N35+the source of the NFET to the Arduino GND? If so, there is absolutely no reason to use the opto-coupler.

The biggest benefit of using the opto-coupler is to reduce the possibility that the inductive spike from the solenoid will couple into the Arduino, causing problems with spurious resets or noise in analog circuits. To make that work, you cannot tie the emitter of the 4N35+the source of the NFET to the Arduino GND; they must be kept separate, which requires that the Arduino power supply and the solenoid power supply share no other common connections; i.e. they be completely galvanically isolated from each other...

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
Are you going to tie the emitter of the 4N35+the source of the NFET to the Arduino GND? If so, there is absolutely no reason to use the opto-coupler.

The biggest benefit of using the opto-coupler is to reduce the possibility that the inductive spike from the solenoid will couple into the Arduino, causing problems with spurious resets or noise in analog circuits. To make that work, you cannot tie the emitter of the 4N35+the source of the NFET to the Arduino GND; they must be kept separate, which requires that the Arduino power supply and the solenoid power supply share no other common connections; i.e. they be completely galvanically isolated from each other...

Thanks for the idea but my leader asking me to use optocoupler in the system/circuit. Is my sketching circuit for voltage supply im connecting same source with solenoid and arduino? sorry if i miss that part.

Btw thanks :)

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why do you force us to go to an advertising-supported website to see your image? (Post them here).

There are a lot of problems with your posted opto-isolator circuit:

How much current does the opto's collector have to sink to turn off the NFET ?
What is the opto's Current-Transfer-Ratio? (Download and study its data sheet).
Can the Arduino port-pin source enough current to drive the input side of the opt0?
What happens when the NFET turns off?

Mizs Faa

Joined Nov 25, 2015
I have read the comments at another post. Sorry about the second post because I thought need to post other post. As I told before i have lack of information in electronics design.

Btw, MikeML post its really insult me by "Besides, the TS is trying to get us to do work that she should be doing as a student. It should have been posted in Homework forum, not either of the two forums she has posted it. So far, her circuit is totally what the members here have fed her..." What the mean of members here have fed her?

As I know, I only take advice from MaxHeadRoom for the Logic Mosfet in my circuit. Other than that is my own design.

I need help someone to help me how to read datasheet as I am lack of knowledge about that since my background is in networking. As my project in mechatronic. Two new thing to me for blend together. If someone cant help please do not insult me.

I am please to learn from you maybe any tips to get info from datasheet. two weeks im try to learn how to read the datasheet (first time).

thank you to the comments, Im really appreciate those who try to help me. Im sorry because im struggling to learn this new thing.