Soldering very tiny wires - how do I strip this?

Spocker

Joined Feb 11, 2020
I have a PSVR headset which an animal had chewed into the cord. I've stripped it down and determined that there is only one visibly damaged wire, so I want to just solder it back together and throw a little heat shrink on it. I severed the wire in order to do that, but its so tiny that I'm not sure I can strip it down with strippers or a razor. I tried a cigarette lighter to shrink the plastic back but it doesn't have any effect. What would you do?

The image shows a BIC pen for scale.

Thank you.

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I severed the wire in order to do that, but its so tiny that I'm not sure I can strip it down with strippers or a razor.
Use a blade to carefully remove the insulation. An X-Acto type blade with holder will give you more control than a razor blade.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It depends on what the insulation is. If it is woven, you may have no choice but to cut it or unravel it. If it is PVC or another plastic that melts (e.g., Kynar), you can run a soldering tip along it to remove one side, then peel back the other side. If it's Teflon, I accomplish the same skinning action by running a razor flat on the wire.

For copper wire of 30 awg and larger, I use a Jonard stripper that has sharpened jaws like the common stripper electricians use, except it goes to a finer gauge.

As an aside, one of my favorite strippers today is the Triplettt PowrStrip (note, no "e" in Powr). It just uses a good grip on the insulation to pull it apart. No nicking. It even works well with Teflon insulation on fine TC wires. However, the TC wires (K-type) are probably a little stronger than copper. I was skeptical at first, but it does work. There are several different brands of similar looking strippers. With really fine copper wire, it might break the wire.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I generally buy quality tools such as Weidmuller etc.
The Stripax model has a insulation thickness setting and will go down to wire-wrap wire.
Max.