Soldering station / iron suggestion by a blind person

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The reason for going to unleaded solder was primarily to prevent the lead from old circuit boards getting in to the environment, not because there was a concern for people using the solder.
I'd be willing to bet those that did the complaining also don't vaccinate their kids.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It seems the NIMBY mindset haven't figured out that lead IS an environmental element. They just don't want it dug up and reburied in their back yard.

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
I'll be using 63/37 rosin core solder.

At the end of this month, there's a workshop in New York for blind solderers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I'm waiting to hear if they'll have any audio from the workshop.

Dick, glad your sight is back.

Eric, I'll get in touch with Larry. Looks like he's a ham. I'm from "9 land". Sounds like he'll be a great person to talk to about his experience as a blind solderer.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
(Some text removed for clarity)
At the end of this month, there's a workshop in New York for blind solderers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I'm waiting to hear if they'll have any audio from the workshop.
That would be very helpful, maybe if you make a request they will record workshop.

Only briefly, because this is only tangential to the topic:
It seems the NIMBY mindset haven't figured out that lead IS an environmental element. They just don't want it dug up and reburied in their back yard.
Back in the early 1990's the U.S. Environmental Protection agency started making noises about color CRT display makers starting programs for taking back old displays because the glass had a lot of lead in it. Working for one of those companies, I called them. They seemed most concerned about lead getting into groundwater.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Back in the early 1990's the U.S. Environmental Protection agency started making noises about color CRT display makers starting programs for taking back old displays because the glass had a lot of lead in it. Working for one of those companies, I called them. They seemed most concerned about lead getting into groundwater.
What about all of the lead crystal drinking glasses?