Soldering station / iron suggestion by a blind person

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The reason for going to unleaded solder was primarily to prevent the lead from old circuit boards getting in to the environment, not because there was a concern for people using the solder.
I'd be willing to bet those that did the complaining also don't vaccinate their kids.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
It seems the NIMBY mindset haven't figured out that lead IS an environmental element. They just don't want it dug up and reburied in their back yard.

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
I'll be using 63/37 rosin core solder.

At the end of this month, there's a workshop in New York for blind solderers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I'm waiting to hear if they'll have any audio from the workshop.

Dick, glad your sight is back.

Eric, I'll get in touch with Larry. Looks like he's a ham. I'm from "9 land". Sounds like he'll be a great person to talk to about his experience as a blind solderer.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
(Some text removed for clarity)
At the end of this month, there's a workshop in New York for blind solderers. Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend. I'm waiting to hear if they'll have any audio from the workshop.
That would be very helpful, maybe if you make a request they will record workshop.

Only briefly, because this is only tangential to the topic:
It seems the NIMBY mindset haven't figured out that lead IS an environmental element. They just don't want it dug up and reburied in their back yard.
Back in the early 1990's the U.S. Environmental Protection agency started making noises about color CRT display makers starting programs for taking back old displays because the glass had a lot of lead in it. Working for one of those companies, I called them. They seemed most concerned about lead getting into groundwater.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Back in the early 1990's the U.S. Environmental Protection agency started making noises about color CRT display makers starting programs for taking back old displays because the glass had a lot of lead in it. Working for one of those companies, I called them. They seemed most concerned about lead getting into groundwater.
What about all of the lead crystal drinking glasses?

PdxLuke

Joined Apr 10, 2021
I'm blind and am also curious about soldering so I can do my own mods and pickup swaps on my guitars as well as maybe tinker with my analog synths. I'll be following this thread with interest.

Just a suggestion to the sighted folks here: asking how someone does something is totally fine but stating that they cannot do something because of their blindness is extremely rude. Also, just like everyone else, blind participants in any forum are there to discuss the topic at hand, not necessarily explain their blindness to others. Don't be offended if they'd rather not go into detail right then and there. There are great resources online for commonly asked questions about blindness, how blind people do certain things, etc. In general just trust that if a blind person says they can do something, they can. Cheers.

PdxLuke

Joined Apr 10, 2021
Kinda like asking what kind of car would you would recommended for a blind driver. o_O
I'm astounded that so many here whom I presume are brilliant engineers can be so shockingly ignorant about disability. Driving can be potentially deadly to the driver and others in his path. Soldering poses its own risks but is neither as dangerous as driving nor as impossible to adapt for a blind person, though admittedly it ranks up there as one of the more challenging tasks to perform without sight. Instead of sighted people telling blind people what is or isn't reasonable to achieve, how about being supportive of fellow engineers and their goals, regardless of peoples' disabilities?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Soldering poses its own risks but is neither as dangerous as driving nor as impossible to adapt for a blind person, though admittedly it ranks up there as one of the more challenging tasks to perform without sight.
I don't know how you can make a good joint without being able to see how the solder is flowing and how much has been applied to the joint. Removal would be even harder.

If you're in the Portland, Oregon area, I'm willing to help you with your soldering tasks when things get back to something more normal.

PdxLuke

Joined Apr 10, 2021
Hey, I really appreciate that offer! Like I say, admittedly soldering seems like a difficult task to adapt to a blind workflow, but just over 10 years ago I would have thought it was impossible for me to use a touchscreen smart phone… And then apple figured out how to make smart phones not only usable to blind people but one of the most accessible pieces of consumer-electronics on the market, so I never think it’s wise to decide something is impossible just because it seems unlikely. :)

I don't know how you can make a good joint without being able to see how the solder is flowing and how much has been applied to the joint. Removal would be even harder.

If you're in the Portland, Oregon area, I'm willing to help you with your soldering tasks when things get back to something more normal.

PdxLuke

Joined Apr 10, 2021
When posed with a problem, some decide it’s not possible and walk away while others are crazy enough to think it just might be possible. Also, unless you are blind or know a friend, family member or coworker who is, how can you assess the feasibility of an activity without a full understanding of the adaptive tools and technologies available to blind people?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
What soldering requires is putting the soldering iron very close to the optimum location for heat transfer to both parts of the jointto be soldered. Then adding a bit of solder to vastly improve the heat transfer. That is the part never stated in the "how-to" books. Then, when the areas to be joined are at the right temperature, adding just the right amount of solder. So there are many parts of good soldering that can be done by feel. But there are also parts that are way to hot to do by feel. So the second part of soldering without seeing would be to be able to recall where those positions are long enough to apply the heat and solder at the right time.
Unfortunately I have seen a lot of really poor soldering done by people with very excellent vision. So just as I described, there is a lot more to good soldering than just good vision. Can it be done without sight? Probably by some with a very good understanding of just what they have to do and where it must be done.So it will require a lot of focus. I have soldered where I was unable to see on a few occasions, So it can be done.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I cannot imagine soldering blind since I struggle as it is, A magnifier and and bright light help me a lot. Being able to see is perhaps my rate-limiting issue.

That said, I can't think of any particular features that would make one soldering station any better than another for use by a blind person. A braille or audible readout of tip temperature might be useful but I've never seen one,

So, the best I can do is tell you what I use. It's very cheap and folks here can scoff, but it works fine. The tips last a long time (the main reason I upgraded from even cheaper irons) and it is not the weal link in my technique.

https://www.parts-express.com/Stahl-Tools-STSSVT-Variable-Temperature-Soldering-Station-374-100
1618112708457.png

I also got a set of replacement tips. Turns out the only one I use is the smallest one. I'm still on the first one I got several years ago.
https://www.parts-express.com/Stahl-Tools-SSRT-4-Piece-Soldering-Tip-Kit-for-SSVT-374-102
1618112895323.png
Not sure why I'm posting images but maybe they'll help.

Please be sure to come back and let us know what you get and how it goes.

soc7

Joined Dec 19, 2019
... So, the best I can do is tell you what I use. It's very cheap and folks here can scoff, but it works fine. The tips last a long time (the main reason I upgraded from even cheaper irons) and it is not the weal link in my technique.

https://www.parts-express.com/Stahl-Tools-STSSVT-Variable-Temperature-Soldering-Station-374-100
View attachment 235044

I also got a set of replacement tips. Turns out the only one I use is the smallest one. I'm still on the first one I got several years ago.
https://www.parts-express.com/Stahl-Tools-SSRT-4-Piece-Soldering-Tip-Kit-for-SSVT-374-102
View attachment 235045
Thanks for the soldering station and tip replacement suggestion. I'll look into them.

Soc7