Soldering help

fixit7

Joined Jun 2, 2019
I could use some help with soldering.

I would like to learn how to solder these 2 wires while being able to slip
the shrink tubing over the soldered connection.

Thanks.

Solder.png

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
First you slip shrink tube over the wire large enough to cover the soldered splice. Then you do this.
1592957803872.png
Then you solder.
Then slide the shrink tube over the splice and hold a match under it to shrink it to fit.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Make sure the heat shring is first slid onto one wire, but a fair way from the joint so it does not get hot.
Then, twist the wires together for mechanical strength, ensuring the wires are thinner than the insulation.
Solder the wires, and wait for them to cool down before sliding the heat shrink over the joint.
Then shrink it down.
I mainly use "Twin Wall" heatshrink now. That is the type that has a layer of hot melt glue inside so it shrinks and seals well.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I’ll just add my two cents. Dendad made an important point. The heat shrink tubing MUST be far enough away from the splice. Otherwise when you solder, the tubing shrinks into the wire and you won’t be able to slide it over the soldered splice.

Ask me how I know.

fixit7

Joined Jun 2, 2019
Make sure the heat shring is first slid onto one wire, but a fair way from the joint so it does not get hot.
Then, twist the wires together for mechanical strength, ensuring the wires are thinner than the insulation.
Solder the wires, and wait for them to cool down before sliding the heat shrink over the joint.
Then shrink it down.
I mainly use "Twin Wall" heatshrink now. That is the type that has a layer of hot melt glue inside so it shrinks and seals well.
Yeah, I had the shrink tubing shrink a little and could not slide it over.

Tried to trim off the shrunk part, but it was a lost cause. :)

fixit7

Joined Jun 2, 2019
First you slip shrink tube over the wire large enough to cover the soldered splice. Then you do this.
View attachment 210567
Then you solder.
Then slide the shrink tube over the splice and hold a match under it to shrink it to fit.
Thanks. I was doing it as shown, but I had the wire stripped only about .5 inch.

So, the twisted wires always came apart before I could solder them.

Andy

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Telling would ruin all the fun of finding out for yourself. ;) It's just one of those things that must be experienced to get the full joy of it!