Solder burn stories

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
That reminds me...

Not soldering, per se, but while arc welding I "sparks" (also known as chunks of red-hot metal) sparks like to jump from the rod when you strike an arc.. SO, this one time in-particular, I was welding a chain-point to a front-end loader, and when I struck the arc, the "sparks" jumped over my helmet and slid down the back of my shirt.. Sticking nicely to my sweaty back.

I was dancing QUITE UN-gracefully trying ease the pain.
Yea, out of position welding can suck. I was welding some support bracing for a large door 18' above the ground, upside down. I still have the scars on my neck. You can't let go; you can't jump.

John

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
That reminds me...

Not soldering, per se, but while arc welding I "sparks" (also known as chunks of red-hot metal) sparks like to jump from the rod when you strike an arc.. SO, this one time in-particular, I was welding a chain-point to a front-end loader, and when I struck the arc, the "sparks" jumped over my helmet and slid down the back of my shirt.. Sticking nicely to my sweaty back.

I was dancing QUITE UN-gracefully trying ease the pain.
This thread is useless without pictures.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I used to feel the heat of iron to check if it is heating up by bringing it close to the nose and upper lip where our manhood mustache is visible.
You always smell the iron to see if it's hot.

Never wear shorts, always wear shoes. Most importantly, never pick up a bit of light buss wire and try to solder with it. Lots of times, you can't turn loose of it.

Heavydoody

Joined Jul 31, 2009
Somewhat off topic...back before I quit smoking, I was outside in bare feet smoking when the cherry fell off my cigarette and stuck between my toes...

lightingman

Joined Apr 19, 2007
I was given my first soldering iron by my dad when I was five. What do kids normaly do with them? They make nice big shiny balls of solder. Well there I was, doing just that, but I was kneeling down, on the floor in my pyjamas. The blob that I was making was getting bigger and bigger until gravity did it's thing. Yep! the solder ball droped and dissapeared into fly hole in my pyjamas. Being only five, I would have thought it would miss the very small objects within.. But no, my little bit's were a sure target. Pleased to say, the incident has not affected it's use.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We can use alcoholic containing thingies...it's the drinking that is a NO! NO !
Ya ! we do compromise. but it's hush ! hush! :D
You did realize it was a bad attempt at humor on my part? You know instead of sniffing glue or huffing paint vapor, electronic hobbyists would sniff soldering irons. :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I was given my first soldering iron by my dad when I was five. What do kids normaly do with them? They make nice big shiny balls of solder. Well there I was, doing just that, but I was kneeling down, on the floor in my pyjamas. The blob that I was making was getting bigger and bigger until gravity did it's thing. Yep! the solder ball droped and dissapeared into fly hole in my pyjamas. Being only five, I would have thought it would miss the very small objects within.. But no, my little bit's were a sure target. Pleased to say, the incident has not affected it's use.
YYYY---OUCH!!!

I have almost the same story! Replace the soldering iron with a "fresh, hot off the stove" bowl of chicken noodle soup.

I was standing on the couch trying to lower myself into a "crossed leg" sitting position, and as I neared completion, I fell back slightly, spilling the soup onto my "hoodle"

I agree that molten solder is MUCH hotter than hot soup, but I have experienced the "burnt hoodle from chicken noodle" ;)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I was visiting some family members who were "camping" (they had a trailer, wimps), and we were roasting marshmallows with those nice long metal rods. I went to the bathroom and when I got back I grabbed one at about the middle (not normally hot)... what I didn't know was that while I was gone they had decided to stick them all in the fire to clean them.
I also didn't notice that the metal was glowing slightly...
Left a nice blistered line across all my fingers for about a week and a half.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Speaking of patterned burns....

A friend of mine had moved with his mother to another home.

The OLD home had not yet sold, so we still used it as a "party spot".

Winter came and the heat did not work, so we all hung out in the kitchen.

The oven was turned on, as were the stove tops.

This old electric stove top had the coil shaped heating elements.

SO, this friend of mine had a few too many, and was a little tired, so he leaned on what he thought was the counter top, until a smell and pain came from his hand.

Sure enough, he put his hand on the red-hot stove-top coil.

He had a coil "imprinted" on the palm of his hand for months.

I have not seen him in a while, and the burn was 15 or more years ago, so I have no idea if it is still there or not.

For some reason, I believe it did heal over.. I do not remember him having a scar on his palm a few years later when we were in a band together.

Still.. I remember the smell, sound, and look on his face from that burn...

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Apparently palms are pretty good at healing, provided that the damage is not too deep (at which point permanent and possibly progressive contractures become possible).

My own accident catching a soldering iron left an apparently deep burn at the time, but this is now invisible. Subsequently I required hand surgery for an unrelated reason, and a few weeks after the operation the scarring looked to be pretty severe. I complained to the surgeon, who had previously told me that the scars would be inconspicuous. He said that the marks would be a lot less obvious in a year or two, which proved to be the case.

A friend of mine does have a permanent mark on his hand, and the way he got it should stand as a warning. He was developing photographs in a darkroom. His hands were wet, and in the darkroom he could not see what he was doing. Unfortunately, someone had left a live, un-mated and wrongly wired mains connector out on a bench. 240V AC on bare male terminals. :eek: The connector stuck to his flesh, and he had trouble dislodging it. The hand is still functional, but the marks remain.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I have a nice permanent scar & bump on the side on my hand from where a rooster sunk its spur a full half inch into the side of my palm.
that hurt like a ...

and who was the idiot that left a live mains terminal laying out!!!!!!

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Your poor foot - but how come you had no shoes on? Safety shoes or even boots are a good idea, especially with long trousers so that there are no gaps at the ankles. Solder dripped onto some kinds of synthetic material socks melts its way through and sticks horribly.
I was just 13 or 14,I dont remember why I didnt had any shoes but yes that didnt gave me any permanent scar...:D