Solder alterative

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I still have some of those. They serve the same purpose as the other ones I showed before.
They plug into perf-board and are good for bread-boarding with discrete leaded components.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
Picked mine up when I went in for my free battery.:D

In those days I could make the 10 mile trip for a free battery. And it made sense.:eek:

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
Got a board like this and I was wondering if there was any semipermanent alternatives to soldering that would easily let me switch out and rearrange components. Like maybe some tiny nut on the other side that would hold wire into the hole. Closest I can figure is electric tape but is there a better way?

Yeah, solder. Just instead of soldering it real good, just tack the leads & components together good enough to test the circuit. If all checks well, you can go back and solder them together completely.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I have seen you say that you are an old man (just like me :) ). I thought these were pretty common back in the days before we had electricity. :)

I think Radio Shack used to carry them.
I never bought a hobby kit. My first project was assembling EICO scopes for a General Motors engineer. Then I started on my future workshop. A VTVM, a signal tracer, etc. Not playing with the hobby kits because I had real equipment to build.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I never bought a hobby kit. My first project was assembling EICO scopes for a General Motors engineer. Then I started on my future workshop. A VTVM, a signal tracer, etc. Not playing with the hobby kits because I had real equipment to build.
Wow you are old. :) I wonder how many people here have used a VTVM or even know what one is. :)

rc3po

Joined Feb 12, 2014
I bought a Maxitronix 500in1 Electronics Lab last Feb from Maker Shed to start learning circuits. It even has a small uController to learn the basics of programming.
It was a lot of fun.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Wow you are old. :) I wonder how many people here have used a VTVM or even know what one is. :)
When I took the course from Commercial Trades Institute while still in High School, the VTVM was one of the "learning" projects. Started out with the power supply, then added on with future lessons. Same with the B&W TV set I built. They did supply a pre assembled/adjusted tuner for that one.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You mean the one where you had to wait half an hour for it to warm up before adjusting the center zero?
Yes. I built that meter myself and hated it all the years of its life.
Then Fluke came along and I love my digital meter with 1% accuracy and it is ready to go in about 10 seconds.:p