solar panel for home . help needed

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
Hi all , I am thinking of installing solar panels for my home . Have a few questions as stated below .

1) I know there are a few different type of solar panels like the solar thermal panel and concentrated solar panel , which would you recommend for home use . 230v .

2) I am thinking of storing the solar energy in huge batteries maybe 200 amp batteries for use . Is it advisable ?

3) I am thinking of connecting a contactor from the solar panel power to my main power supply . So that when the solar runs out the ac will kick in .

Thank you .

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all , I am thinking of installing solar panels for my home . Have a few questions as stated below .

1) I know there are a few different type of solar panels like the solar thermal panel and concentrated solar panel , which would you recommend for home use . 230v .

2) I am thinking of storing the solar energy in huge batteries maybe 200 amp batteries for use . Is it advisable ?

3) I am thinking of connecting a contactor from the solar panel power to my main power supply . So that when the solar runs out the ac will kick in .

Thank you .
Some governments offer subsidies for adopting solar power, so that's worth looking for before you spend any money, if they subsidise they'll want the best for their investment, so there are probably brochures about the most effective panel types.

AFAIK: most countries have strict regulation about the standard of wiring for ANY installation that operates at mains voltage - even if you are able to do the work yourself, you may be required to have it inspected for issue of a safety certificate.

gisdude

Joined Oct 30, 2008
t00t,
If your'e in the States, you probably will need an inspection from the AHJ (authority holding jurisdiciton) if you're modifying the main panel (even if branch circuits).
1. If you want the AC to kick in, you need to have an ATS (automatic Transfer Switch) installed (it'll probably need to be "break-before-make" type), per NEC.
2. Most (not all) POCO's (power companies) have a standard design on how much power YOU generate, so they can take it off the bill - sooooo, typically (not always) a second meter (and panel) is installed. That's typically on your dime.

t00t

Joined Jan 22, 2015
I have checked . Not laws stating I can't built my own solar panels and that I have to get it checked . Is there a high risk though of connecting it to my mains ? Oh BTW I am thinking of the thermal solar panel .

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I have checked . Not laws stating I can't built my own solar panels and that I have to get it checked . Is there a high risk though of connecting it to my mains ? Oh BTW I am thinking of the thermal solar panel .
What is a "thermal solar panel"; I thought you wanted to produce electricity?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
You'll want the standard PV panels that are widely used for such an installation. The only factor that would change that is the availability of some big subsidy or incentive to use some alternative technology.

Storage is an inefficient process, so you might be better off to just use the grid instead of trying to store your home-made power. I think making the decision to add storage will require an analysis of your usage. For example, if your largest load is running your A/C at night, then storage might be warranted.

3) I am thinking of connecting a contactor from the solar panel power to my main power supply . So that when the solar runs out the ac will kick in.
A grid tie-in is a big deal, and not something you want to install yourself. You'll want a local expert.