So, my laptop bit the dust...

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
not my laptop technically, more like my harddrive
I'm currently running a Linux live CD, and the harddrive keeps sending SMART reports that FAILURE IS IMMINENT it also refuses to write data
Fortunately for me, I backed everything up to an external a couple days ago, because I could tell from the odd bluescreen/failure to boot that something was going to fail

Anyway, the machine is 4 years old, but it has 4G of ram and I don't game on it, I've yet to meet a program it can't run with ease, so instead of waiting and buying a new laptop, I'm taking this as an opportunity to get a good harddrive that will last me at least till im out of college, as well as be a step up in size and speed

Methinks a 240G SATA III SSD (6G/s) for 299.99 is sounding pretty good, and I wont need to worry about head crashes anymore (the suspected cause of my current problem)
thoughts?

I'd think you'd make the hard drive seller a happy person considering you can buy a complete laptop for that price.

A Gateway/Acer ID49CO4H laptop has a 640 gig SATA drive in it. I think 2 gig of RAM but maybe your 4 gig will work in it. The laptop has WIN7 preloaded with all the trial junk and comes with a year's warranty.

New battery and power supply and three months free mail in service work, all for the same price. If you shop around you can even find free shipping in it.

Of course, as you say, no more crashes with a solid state device.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'd think you'd make the hard drive seller a happy person considering you can buy a complete laptop for that price.
I'm not sure where you're from, but I believe that Magnet means 299.99 US dollars. Most (decent) laptops around here (in the US) go for upwards of $1000. The cheapest new laptop I've seen was going for $750, and that was a low-quality one with basically zero extra features :p

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010

A Gateway/Acer ID49CO4H laptop has a 640 gig SATA drive in it. I think 2 gig of RAM but maybe your 4 gig will work in it. The laptop has WIN7 preloaded with all the trial junk and comes with a year's warranty.

New battery and power supply and three months free mail in service work, all for the same price. If you shop around you can even find free shipping in it.

Of course, as you say, no more crashes with a solid state device.
please tell me where, I'll buy it!! ;)

Yea, yet another indicator that US currency aint worth crap anymore :p

please tell me where, I'll buy it!! ;)

Yea, yet another indicator that US currency aint worth crap anymore :p
I bought two of the above mentioned last month. I checked and they came with 4 meg of RAM, camera, DVD ROM, wireless card and probably something else I'm forgetting.

The first one I paid 378 US dollars and the second 279 US dollars. However, I am unable to find any of them tonight. I have been looking but no luck so far.

You can find new laptops in this price range still if you look at enough places. I buy rehabbed Dells for practically nothing that are corporate turn ins that are like new.

Email me if you're interested in my sources since this sort of topic might not be allowed here.

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm glad you're on the ball tonight!! Actually they only have 32 meg in them, my mistake.

I saw that mistake and was getting ready to change it to 4 gig of RAM but why bother when I have someone pointing out my mistakes.
Hahaha, thought something looked amiss there :D

Anyway, 32 meg would still account for the lower cost.

Quite honestly, Magnet, unless you're interested in buying a refurbished laptop, that hard drive isn't a terrible deal. If you've got the money, then I'd say go for it! You should definitely shop around a bit more, though, just to make sure you have the best price.

Der Strom

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Your computer wouldn't be able to keep up with that drive if it is as old as you state, unless you buy a Class 6 SATA PCI-E card to interface with it. It will only run as fast as the motherboard talks to it.

You can replace your drive with a 500G or 1T Class 2/3 SATA for $129 to $179 in a 3.5" format, just don't look for the fastest drive, you are throwing away money.

Analogy would be buying a $12 microcontroller to blink an LED once per second, forever, as it it's only task.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I know my laptop can only support SATA II, but I'm hopefully going to be getting a new laptop this summer/fall, if not then definitely within a couple years (I love my current one, but it's taken some HEAVY abuse) and then I can just switch over the drive and not worry about starting from scratch

32 meg or ram window 7 wouldent even start on that lol you'v got that wrong someware
who make the hard drive in side of your computer because you can down load a disk from who ever makes the hard drive to fix it .if it blue screening it could be a number of reason why it not saveing like a bad scetor. bad sectors can be repaired provideing you havent droped your lapto of chuched it at the wall in temper

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I have a feeling the head crashes and bad sectors or whatever are because I accidentally dropped the laptop from about 3.5 feet onto our cement diveway a few weeks ago
it went downhill from there
(I was lucky I didn't break the screen or anything)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Download Hiren's BootCD, and have it do a low level check on the sectors (non-destructive), if it shows good, it's good.

The S.M.A.R.T. test will also report re-allocated sectors, bad sectors, etc, install that (SpeedFan has SMART monitoring built in, and is easy to use), and if the number is 2-3 digits, just reformat and reload your software and the glitches should go away.