So gonna get a "REAL" gun soon wouldn't mind advice

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So I'm looking at the Ruger 10/22(Semi-Auto) or 77/22(Bolt Action) I'm looking for a sturdy rifle with lots of expansion room to upgrade it to competition quality. Anyone know another brand I should look It. I'm not a fan of pistols or hunting rifles. I like old military guns, and rifles.

Rbeckett

Joined Sep 3, 2010
I really like my Ruger 10/22 a lot. I found a 50 round magazine online and that makes plinking a down right pleasure. I can load up a box, and really concentrate on shooting technique rather than reloading. The mods for that rifle are endless also. Depending on your desire you can end up with a prett awesome rifle. Mine is pretty accurate too, I added a small low powered scope and kill squirells on the run. So my vote is for the Ruger.
Bob

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah but I'm partial to bolt action. Does anyone know if Ruger makes a 10/22 bolt action? Closest I could find was the 77/22. I just figured the 10/22 was for semi auto, and 77/22 for bolt action.

Also been looking at the AR-7. Not a serious target rifle, but it looks like a great camping gun. Some gov. uses them for their airforce pilots for a survival gun. It breaks into 3 parts that all fit into the butt of the gun and it floats. Check em out.

Ruger 10/22

Ruger 77/22

AR-7

and needless to say my favorite gun of all time and may be one day I may own one.
The Ultimate M-14, M-21,

Last edited:

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The Ultimate M-14,
I have a pair of these as well. Like my Garands I have a standard one and a shorty. The short one uses a 1962 barrel from a folding stock paratrooper model, it's 16.5" long.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
A garands the 3rd final dream gun but a decent one costs around $2k.
Just look into shooting in a registered High Power DCM (Department of Civillian Marksmanship) match. I got mine 20 years ago for $165, last price I heard was about $550. You'll have to fill out some paperwork, get fingerprinted by your local law enforcement, and pass a FBI background check. All of this will take about a year. But then one day, a UPS truck will bring your new toy.:D

eta: The rifle you get may be a little rough or Arsenal refinished, not your choice. Mine was kinda "well used", a friend who applied the same day as me got one that was refinished in 1965 and unfired.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I have a pair of these as well. Like my Garands I have a standard one and a shorty. The short one uses a 1962 barrel from a folding stock paratrooper model, it's 16.5" long.
I thought WWII paratroopers used M-1 .30 Cal Carbines with folding stock.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Most everybody has a 10/22, they are Awesome plinkers, and great for hunting small game if you want to do more than plink.

They are extremely ergonomic with the thumbhole stock, which is a $200-ish upgrade, and makes it feel more like an AR-15.

Start with irons, and single shot. NEVER assume "It's ok to miss, I have another shot anyway". That makes for bad shooting habits.

Go to a rifle training course for about $75, they'll show you how to hit what you are aiming at standing, kneeling, or prone, in a single weekend, along with gun safety tips.

If starting out with a .22LR, I couldn't suggest a better platform. The upgrades available for it are amazing, but the thumbhole stock is the best one to get.

Also: DO NOT OVER-CLEAN THE BORE. .22LR leaves not much fouling that isn't pushed out by the next round out. They are soft lead bullets. Get an OTIS pull through patch kit for $20, don't use a cleaning rod. More guns have accuracy ruined from cleaning too much, or using a segmented cleaning rod than by simply shooting them. Cleaning causes a LOT of wear.

Do not use an ammonia based cleaner for the bore, ammonia is to dissolve copper jacketing, found in higher velocity rifles, you need to get rid of lead. A "curly steel wool" chore boy with the big shavings is the best thing to pull through the bore, gets all the lead out in one go, then pull a tight patch through, then a loose oiled patch. Next time you plan to use it, pull a tight patch through (it'll have some powder on it that the oil dissolved while in storage), and start shooting.

Use brake cleaner on the bolt/action part. That is the area that gets gunked up quick because of the amount of debris and unburnt powder .22LR ammo is known for.

Use Aguila ammo if you don't like cleaning your .22 much.

For a second choice in rifle: Handi-Rifle in .223, single shot break open. They are tack drivers. Spendy to shoot though, compared to .22LR

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I thought WWII paratroopers used M-1 .30 Cal Carbines with folding stock.
I guess I could have worded that better. The folding stock rifle I was referring to was the M-14, that's the one I took the short barrel from. TheM-14 wasn't around for WW2.
Not a very good picture, but here's a standard M-14, and a short one, standard M1Garand, and a short one (aka Tanker Garand .308 cal)

Attachments

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Nice collection. The M-1 Carbine is another rifle I despretly want. But I only want a WWII IBM mnf'ed one. They made a ton but many of the non military ones are crap. But I always thought being involved in computers to have a gun made by IBM.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
@thatoneguy, thanks for the advice but I'm very proficient with firearms so I really don't need a coarse. May be coarses for gunsmithing but I had my hunter safety badge at 10 and have shot all my life. Theres quite a few guns I want but price prohibits that for the time being. Plus a .22 is cheap as dirt to shoot, and fires straighter then almost any gun then a .50 cal.this making it the perfect target ammo, or training cal.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
The M-1 Carbine is another rifle I despretly want
That's one I never cared for, a rifle in a pistol caliber. If it were in .223 or some similliar caliber I'd be more inclined to purchase one. The rifle itself is short and easy to manuver in the bush, and from what I've seen pretty reliable.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well it was the olympic caliber for some sort of shooting through the late 70's. Its more of a rifle bullet mixed with a handgun bullet. A lil fat, but still much longer then a .45 or .40. I personally like it because like the .22 its cheap to fire. Its bigger then a .22, but not anything like a 30.06, .223, or 30-30. Its a good feild gun or varnment gun.

As far as a handgun bullet in a rifle I'd kill for an old west .45 lever action repeater.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Ohhhhh la la a M1 Carbine stock on a Ruger 10/22.... Interesting....

I could really see myself with one of these. Like the .22 M4's or .22 AK's.
http://www.gunauction.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=10775957
They have just about EVERY stock for a 10/22 imaginable (AK-47, etc). Stay away from the cheap Tapco bullpup ones, they ruin the trigger feel. The more spendy bullpup stocks are pretty sweet, but run into the $300+ range, benefit is overall length is shorter than your arm length, and it is fully legal without a tax stamp.

A can on either a 10/22 or a 77/22 are awesome. On the 77/22, a KAC can you can only hear the hammer fall, hard to tell when you run out of ammo. With the 10/22 using an integral suppressed barrel, it looks like a bull barrel, and all you hear is the action, which can be quieted by putting erasers in strategic spots to deaden the "ting-chick" noise to a "schlick", but still can't get anywhere near as quiet as a 77/22 since the only noise made is the firing pin.

If you like the Monte Carlo grip (Standard stock, European grip where your hand is angled about 15 degrees forward), the 77/22 would fit nicely. For an American grip, such as a 1911, get the thumbhole stock.

To understand what I'm talking about on grip angle, compare the two ruger pistols: 22/45 and the standard Ruger 22. The standard Ruger 22 has the same grip angle as Glocks, while the 22/45 has the grip angle of a 1911. The internal workings are exactly the same.

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
AR-7 was my very first gun,fond memories.
Soo durable,countless rounds was put through it, and putting it together and taking apart made me feel like a movie sniper lol
It was responsible for spawning my life long love of firearms couldn't reccomend it more