Snake Identification

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are the pupils round or slitted. If round, non-venomous (US only, except coral snakes). If slit, likely venomous -- particularly where you are.

And yes, there is a difference in the scales of venomous and non-venomous snakes around the cloaca. However, I have no interest in being a herpeto-proctologist, and I suspect you feel the same.

Be aware that a lot of snakes have the ability to musk. It is a bad smelling gas that they emit as a defense.

Edit: Also, water moccasins, like many water snakes, tend to be territorial and aggressive. Most other indigenous snakes will try to avoid you.

Last edited:

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
I had a friend and his son die from what the thought was worms they was about 4 inch long his son told his dad they bite they both died.
His 6 year old son had 4 cotton mouth snakes 4 inchs long in his pocket.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
@be80be
Young snakes are more lethal than older snakes of the same type. Reason, venom requires a lot of resources to make. Older snakes have learned to control the amount injected with a bite. In fact, many bites are dry and only meant as warnings. Young snakes do not have that control and shoot their load.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Around this time from April on we have Garter snakes coming out of underground lime stone caves from winter hibernation in order to start breeding.
Fortunately non-poisonous.
Although I did have one sink his fangs in me when I picked him up!
Max.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Are the pupils round or slitted. If round, non-venomous (US only, except coral snakes). If slit, likely venomous -- particularly where you are.
I learned a lot about coral snakes today. I've known the adage "red on yellow, kill a fellow; red on black, you're OK Jack" since childhood, and it's helped me confirm that I have met dozens of milk snake imposters but never a real coral snake. Until today. This was waiting on the back porch for my 8 y/o daughter when she went outside to let out the chickens.

Turns out they are the second most venomous snake in the world, but if you google that for confirmation, Google will take liberties with the English language. It will make the executive decision that even though you deliberately typed the word "venomous," you plainly meant "dangerous," and the top 10 lists you'll find, won't include the coral snake. The coral snake isn't among the world's most dangerous snakes because they're cowards and their fangs aren't long like other venomous snakes, so you almost have to go out of your way to be dealt death from one.

This, for me, is tantamount to discovering a cougar on the back porch. Or at least it was until I read up on it. Still pretty cool (and still unnerving) to finally cross paths with a coral snake after decades of watching out for them.

20200829_122545.jpg