Snail Mail -- Literally (as the kids say)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I ordered a video card weeks ago from Amazon. Anyone else ever have this experience:

Selection_026.png

Today is Wednesday 8/29 and I still haven't received it.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I shudder with dread every time I see that Amazon has shipped something to me via Fedex. I've had several experiences more or less like yours with them. The only delivery service worse, IMO, is Amazon's own AMZL service; I bought an oscilloscope from Amazon last year, and AMZL delivered it to an apparently randomly selected location a couple of blocks away. If not for the kindness of the person it was delivered to, who brought it over to my place, I would never have received it.

I've had excellent service from UPS, and good performance by the good ol' USPS as well.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I shudder with dread every time I see that Amazon has shipped something to me via Fedex. I've had several experiences more or less like yours with them. The only delivery service worse, IMO, is Amazon's own AMZL service; I bought an oscilloscope from Amazon last year, and AMZL delivered it to an apparently randomly selected location a couple of blocks away. If not for the kindness of the person it was delivered to, who brought it over to my place, I would never have received it.

I've had excellent service from UPS, and good performance by the good ol' USPS as well.
I pay for the Prime service, which includes 2 day delivery on Prime-marked items. I've never had a problem with shipping of Prime items.

I thought this card was prime (I indicated "Prime only" in the search parameters). Only after I purchased did I realize that this particular item was not prime.

But, still. The package has been only 3 hours away from me for 5 (!) days.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

Funny you should mention all this. In my case, it's been exactly the other way around. Down here FedEx is the most trustworthy, while UPS always makes up an excuse to deliver the package several days late. Amazon's direct delivery service has proven to be quite reliable too.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I've had good luck with amazon.

I worry whenever it becomes a carrier / post office sequence. As to Joey's specifics, yes, I've seen that before. I'm sure everyone is aware that their local post office employees no longer sort the local mail. All is delivered to a central point to be sorted by machine. When I was in western oklahoma, the mail went to liberal kansas to be sorted and then back to my local post office for delivery. Mouser was two day delivery when I was in OK. Now, Mouser is less than 10 miles from me.

The FEDEX model sent everything to a central point (Atlanta, I believe) for sorting. Hell, I'll bet the packages you get have more airline miles than most people.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I finally received the package shortly after lunch. It was dropped in the mailbox by our mailman. No FedEx marking on the package anywhere, just a USPS tracking code.

I haven't used USPS in years, but I don't ever remember a parcel taking 9 days cross-country. I guess things have changed.

They should call it Slowpost, not Smartpost.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I had a strange experience with an Amazon delivery some time ago.
I ordered a Prime item and it was supposedly delivered by some local delivery service (two men in a car I think).
The website said it was "directly handed to the occupant" but they hadn't and it was not at my front door.
A few days later (after Amazon had already sent me a replacement) I happened to be going doing my front walk way (I usually go out the garage) and I noticed my package sitting behind a small decorative wall about half way from the sidewalk to my front door.
Apparently they were too lazy to walk all the way to my front door and then lied about handing it to me.

I contacted Amazon and they stated they had some other problems with that delivery service.
Hopefully they stopped using them.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I too have had the best service with USPS. In my area it is the DHL that is the worst. A lot of Ebayers are now using DHL. it sits in a DHL warehouse less than 15 miles away, for days before they get enough stuff to take to USPS for final delivery.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

My experience is very much the opposite. My preferred shipper is FedEx -- can't recall a single problem I've ever had with them. When I drop something off at FedEx the tracking info is available on their website usually within five minutes. I don't mind UPS, but I've had a few hiccups with them. I avoid USPS like the plague -- I can't count how many times I've had packages not arrive (both outbound and inbound), or damaged, or excessively late. With USPS the tracking info seems to seldom get into the system before the package is delivered.

Over the last many years the relationships between the various shippers has gotten like a web, particularly for bulk shippers. They say they ship it by X and it actually ends up being delivered by Y. I can certainly see the potential for improved efficiency and cost reduction that could possibly result, in an ideal world, but I don't know that this is an overall good thing as it makes accountability difficult and if a company can't be held accountable for good service, they quickly lose the incentive to provide good service.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
With FedEx and UPS alone, rarely have I had a problem -- except when shipping holiday wines to my children. For that, both can be bad; FedEx is worse. Both blame it on rather arcane regulations.

The real problems I have had is when FedEx or UPS "partners" with USPS. FedEx, as I recall is called SmartPost; UPS is called "UPS Mail Innovations." Both stink.

Those partnerships seem to combine the worst of both worlds. There is no effective tracking. USPS usually reports, "partner has notified to expect package, package not received yet." The independent parcel services report some other nonsense. Typically, UPS packages come to a suburb of Cleveland, then go to a Detroit suburb, transfer to USPS and go wherever, even Pennsylvania. It has not been unusual for my very kind and conscientious letter carrier to deliver a package before USPS even acknowledges receipt. (I always reward her with a gift at Christmas.)

In fact, given my choice of either "partnership," I would chose USPS, except for International. USPS has gotten a lot better for small parcels than it was years ago, and IMHO competes favorably with the established parcel services in that arena. Unfortunately, Amazon has picked the partnerships too. Ironically, that has led to much faster service from those sellers on eBay who drop ship from Amazon's Prime rather than for me (a non-Prime person) to order from Amazon directly.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
My preferred shipper is FedEx -- can't recall a single problem I've ever had with them.
I have, and it caused my two strokes. When I retired the company sent documents to get my health insurance extended until I was going to go on medicare. Fedex delivered said documents, but instead of putting them at my door, they put it inside my firewood box and closed the lid. Never got the documents until early winter when I went to fill the box. I was without insurance for many months and didn't have the money to afford my BP meds. BP sky rocketed and had two strokes in one week end.