Smurf Attack getting serious

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Knowing commands is good, but joeyd demonstrated very well that one also needs a mental library of available programs. The fact that I didn't know gedit is a text editor and gthumb is an image manipulator demonstrates how much I don't know. With that level of ignorance, it is impossible for me to know which programs to summon to run a printer.

If I was in Windows, I would know how to reload a mouse driver. In Linux, I don't even know what the mouse driver is called.:oops:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Knowing commands is good, but joeyd demonstrated very well that one also needs a mental library of available programs. The fact that I didn't know gedit is a text editor and gthumb is an image manipulator demonstrates how much I don't know. With that level of ignorance, it is impossible for me to know which programs to summon to run a printer.

If I was in Windows, I would know how to reload a mouse driver. In Linux, I don't even know what the mouse driver is called.:oops:
#12, find the Ubuntu Software Center (one of the programs in you menu) and search for the kinds of software you want/need. Just pick a topic, and it will offers selections. There are over 10,000 different programs available for Ubuntu available via apt-get (or downloaded/installed for you via the software center). Take some time and explore!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Stuff like this is in the Log of my router:

[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [79.78.188.88], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 11:24:58
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [58.64.161.204], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 11:20:49
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [27.27.80.27], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 11:12:14
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [101.51.160.1], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 11:07:01
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [179.151.29.124], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 10:48:32
[DoS attack: Smurf] attack packets in last 20 sec from ip [79.189.241.50], Wednesday, Jan 27,2016 10:16:32

I sent a cut&paste like this to my ISP/security about a month ago asking them if they could do anything about these attacks coming at me. No reply.

Yesterday I got a notice that if I didn't stop sending out Dos attacks/Smurf my internet service would be terminated.
Talked to head nerd, reformatted my C: drive, reinstalled Vista, and today I got another warning.

So I opened up the computer, plugged into the spare hard drive and found...Ubuntu!
I must have done that about 6 years ago.
So here I am...in a version of Linux.
I'm sure joeyd999 will be thrilled.

Updates of this Thread will happen if this doesn't stop...or maybe updates won't happen. Maybe my Internet service will be terminated.

I don't know why formatting my C: drive didn't fix this. Now we'll see if Ubuntu fixes it.
I'm wondering...if the Dos attacks come from apparently thousands of random IP's, is my IP address in the pile because it's a random number being spoofed or is my Vista drive suffering from malware?
If your HDD caught something nasty - reformatting may not be enough.

Last time I had that problem, I deleted the W10 partition and installed Mint. Then deleted the mint partition and started over with W10.

That worked - a previously tried DOD wipe hadn't.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
If your HDD caught something nasty - reformatting may not be enough.

Last time I had that problem, I deleted the W10 partition and installed Mint. Then deleted the mint partition and started over with W10.

That worked - a previously tried DOD wipe hadn't.
Most time with stuff like that I do a quick format and then a full format and run CCleaner format just to make sure all information is gone ..

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Most time with stuff like that I do a quick format and then a full format and run CCleaner format just to make sure all information is gone ..
See your CCleaner and raise you a DOD wipe.

The DOD wipe didn't remove the malicious code. Deleting the W10 partition and overwriting the MBR area with an OS the code couldn't do anything with was the only way to obliterate it.