Smurf Attack getting serious

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I dragged your file into Libra with a copy and paste, then saved it. Now it's an ODT file.:confused:
So I went to the 631 link and searched for the file CNCUPSMF4100ZS.ppd and the search comes back, "No matches found".o_O

I have no idea what kind of interface the printer is.:(

Am I supposed to Download CUPS V2.1.2? (8.4MB)

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I dragged your file into Libra with a copy and paste, then saved it. Now it's an ODT file.:confused:
So I went to the 631 link and searched for the file CNCUPSMF4100ZS.ppd and the search comes back, "No matches found".o_O

I have no idea what kind of interface the printer is.:(

Am I supposed to Download CUPS V2.1.2? (8.4MB)
You are making me look bad.

What did you drag where? And copied and pasted what? And saved it where? And why?

Searched what and where?

When you went to http://localhost:631, what did the screen say?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
When I open your link in a new tab, it looks like a usable file which defines how to address a printer. I tried to drag&drop the title you posted on this page to my desktop so I could rename it and tell the printer installer to search for the driver on the desktop. It won't drag&drop but I could select all the text and copy it to Libra Writer. Can I rename an ODT file to be a PPD file? I tried that and failed.

But enough with how to do it wrong. What am I supposed to do to make the CUPS file discoverable by the printer installer?

In Windows it would be a .txt file renamed as a .ppd file and I would tell Windows to Browse and choose Desktop but I can't make a .txt file in Ubuntu because there is no program to write a .txt file...or I don't know what to call it or where to find it.

Last edited:

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
But I don't. Because you said this:

Which is dead wrong.
Your missing my point. I said it will help, but as a node on the internal network, it will not prevent it from responding to an attack. Linux will still respond to the attack, just a little slower. Also, a Linux box usually isn't the only device on the network to worry about (at least not on mine), there are other devices that will also respond. The best way to prevent the attack is at the connection to the ISP with a good firewall router. If your connection to the internet is provided by a linux firewall, by all means, be sure its OS is hardened and configured to prevent this sort of attack.

I like Linux....I've used FEDORA, CENTOS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, OpenSUSE, SUSE, but I wouldn't recommend it to casual Linux user as a perimeter defense device (firewall) since it takes experience to really configure it properly. A good firewall router has this protection built in and is easier to setup.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
@eetech00
Please stop arguing with joeyd. That is not helping me stop my one wireless router and one computer from annoying my Internet Service Provider.

I don't know why formatting the C: drive and re-installing Vista didn't fix the problem when installing Ubuntu did fix it. Given that these are the only things I changed, I think you can stop arguing about why it's the routers job.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
@eetech00
Please stop arguing with joeyd. That is not helping me stop my one wireless router and one computer from annoying my Internet Service Provider.

I don't know why formatting the C: drive and re-installing Vista didn't fix the problem when installing Ubuntu did fix it. Given that these are the only things I changed, I think you can stop arguing about why it's the routers job.
Not arguing....just replying to the post.
I will say no more.:cool:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
The traffic quit?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
@#12, I haven't forgotten your printing problem. I had to get some sleep last night. Let's do this step by step.

#1: How is the printer connected to the PC?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I haven't received a threat from my ISP for two days. I still find incoming Smurf attacks on my router log by the hundreds per day, but apparently My computer is not sending any.

My printer is on a USB cable.

I just downloaded 15.10. I'm gonna burn the ISO to a DVD and be back in...however long it takes to install. Probably most of an hour.

Wrong. Ubunto 12.04 failed to burn a DVD. I can re-install 12.04 or 10.04 and try again, or go to a friend's house and burn 15.10 to a DVD.

This isn't going to happed this morning. The weather is right for working outside and the car upholstery will be ready in 4 hours. I have physical work that needs to get done today.

Last edited:

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
When you are up and running, open a terminal -- use <ALT><CTRL>T to quickly bring up a terminal.

Type:

lsusb at the $ prompt, and copy the results here.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I'm a little perplexed at the strategy to solve this problem by switching to an unfamiliar OS. (I'll admit it would make more sense to me if #12 was becoming a Mac user.)

I mean, the problem seems to be a small amount of malware that infected a Windows system. Wouldn't it be easier to 1) Use a utility to scan for and remove malware, or 2) Update or re-install the system, or 3) Reformat and install, or 4) Boot from another drive, perhaps a brand new one.

I saw that #3 failed. That seems impossible, unless the malware put itself into the drive's boot loader.

I'm just saying that I would exhaust every possible avenue within the OS I am familiar with before I would even consider a new OS. Heck, I'd find a new computer before I did that. But that's a Mac user perspective.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I'm just saying that I would exhaust every possible avenue within the OS I am familiar with before I would even consider a new OS. Heck, I'd find a new computer before I did that. But that's a Mac user perspective.
Yes! One should always avoid learning new things unless absolutely necessary!

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think I'll try feeding this hard drive the Vista disk. If the poison is in the old hard drive I can stay with Vista and forget this struggle to get a printer running or find out why Ubuntu doesn't seem to have anything that will make a .txt file. I can hope Ubuntu didn't change my partitions, but I'm not optimistic about that. Right now, I'm at the end of a rather physical day and feel myself slipping toward the shower and the bed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
lsusb
c@c-GT5422E:~$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04a9:26a3 Canon, Inc. MF4100 series
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 058f:6377 Alcor Micro Corp. Multimedia Card Reader
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
ind out why Ubuntu doesn't seem to have anything that will make a .txt
Right click desktop. Select "Create New Document" -> "Empty Document". (New document magically appears on desktop).

Double click new document to edit.

Alternate: Press "windows" key -- or select "search your computer" icon at top of launcher. Type "text" and appropriate apps will from which you can choose magically appear.