SmartPhones, need help Understanding how my Cellular Data works?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I have an Android 10 SmartPhone and I need help Understanding how my Cellular Data works?

If I am outside and away from my Home I know if I use the NetFlix App. or the TuneIn App. I will be using my Cellular Data.

Now when I am Home my SmartPhone is Connected to my WiFi.
And if I use my TuneIn App. for Say 30 Minutes and then Check my Data Usage I See the Number never Changes.

And if I am Right this is because I am using my WiFi.

So I wanted to Check this out.

I am at Home and Connected to my WiFi and I go into Settings.
Then I go into More.
Then I go into Data Usage.

Then I Turn Off Cellular Data.

And I stip can use the TuneIn App so I thought I that I am Right this is because I am using my WiFi.

But if I am on my Home Screen and Tap the MicroPhone on my Google Assistant Search Bar and Ask Show me Pictures of Snakes it does it.

So does my Google Assistant use my WiFi or am I not Understanding how this all works?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Your smartphone uses Wifi or your network Data for internet. If Wifi is on and connected it will use that first , otherwise it uses your Data..

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
Ok I just did a Test.

I am Connected to my WiFi.
And I go into Settings then More.

Now I Tap Data Usage and on the Top Left in Big Numbers it Says 6.02 MBps.

So I go back to my Home Screen and Tap the Google Assistant Microphone.

I Asked Play You Should See Me In A Crown Music Video.

It goes Online and Plays the Video.

When it was over I go back into my Settings then Data Usage.

And the Big Numbers on the Top Left now Says 7.06 MBps or something like this.

Am I Right it is Telling me the Data Usage I just used?

If it was using my WiFi the Numbers would have Stayed the same Right?

biferi

Joined Apr 14, 2017
I do not Understand?

If you are Telling me the Numbers are Telling me the Data I just used then why after I use my TuneIn App. the Number do not Change?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
When your phone is using your own WiFi it sends and receives data over your network. If Mobile data is enabled when you are away from your network (home) the phone will access for example the internet through your mobile network. You should be able to view your data usage. Mine for example reflects 0.26 GB of mobile data usage and 2.10 GB of WiFi data usage.. The WiFi data usage will include any "hot spots" (free WiFi) where WiFi was available and used, for example restaurants or coffee houses.

Ron