Smart Meter and Zigbee

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Has anyone managed to get data from a smart meter to a microcontroller via zigbee? I'm referring to the SMETS2 "smart" electricity meter currently being installed in the UK.
It seems to me is that the much-disliked "smart"meter is going to be forced on people "by the back door" as the only way of getting a cheap tariff for charging electric vehicles.
If the smart meter is going to be unavoidable, then being able to access its data and switch things on and off as tariffs change would be handy. I know the utility companies will be offering gadgets to do just that, but I'd much rather that I was in control and not them.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
The zigbee connection is quite legitimate, it uses it to talk to its display module, so not exactly a hack to connect to it. I was just wondering if it was difficult, and what hardware to use.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The zigbee connection is quite legitimate, it uses it to talk to its display module, so not exactly a hack to connect to it. I was just wondering if it was difficult, and what hardware to use.
You might look into whether someone has already documented using SDR for this.