Single USB connection from assembly box for motor message and video

lado9

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Hello,

I have Arduino Due, which controls 9 bipolar stepper motors with drivers.

Assembly includes all this parts inside the case, which has USB connection with PC.

My project also includes CV processing with USB video camera, now connected to the PC, as usually.

I need to integrate this camera into the assembly casing.

I'm trying to figure out, how can I add video camera in assembly box, and somehow, maybe with using of some different device and scheme, get single USB connection to send motors message, and desirable, to get video from same wire, to avoid two wires, if at all possible.

The only thing, I have in my head is to use some kind of mini Wifi camera, but it sounds like not really good idea

Any advice, guide, direction or example would be very helpful

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
Assuming your goal is a single USB plug on the outside of your box; USB is a bus technology, if you can add a USB hub inside your box then perhaps you can connect your stepper controller and the camera to the hub inside the box, leaving you a single plug outside the box. Check your bandwidth requirements. I have not looked, but I'm guessing there will be some USB hub IC's on digikey, mouser, etc..

lado9

Joined Sep 5, 2018
Hello,

Thank you for answer

In the case of controller and motors it is COM6 with Arduino Uno or COM7 with Arduino Due, works fine with single wire connection directly from laptop. I've tried to use male-female USB cable switch to avoid multiple connecting and disconnecting of wire directly from laptop, like this one:

but it was a problem, it just does not recognizes port. I'm not sure, if problem with particular USB switch, because I've checked it with mouse or video camera, works well. So, I've ordered USB hub switch for this reason, waiting to check.

Now I'm think to follow your advice and use USB hub inside box, but I'm not sure if it can easily allow to recognize ports, like this one for example: