Single Phase Digital Energy Meter

cRash1001

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I am starting a project for single phase energy meter reading. Can you guys suggest some micro-controller for this project? I am currently studying MSP430AFE2xx from texas instrument, any pointers for this IC? And also for reading the current CT is used which is inductive and current will lag the voltage. The voltage is read using a voltage divider circuit, so if any of you guys know how to fix this using either hardware or firmware?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The CT (magnetizing) inductance does not generate a significant phase difference between the load current and the voltage, as is true for any transformer.

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
The choice of mcu is a minor one here. What matters here is the afe.

Look up at analog's website as those guys are the leaders there.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Analog Devices and Maxim compete in the electronic watt-hour meter market. Even if you do not want to use one of their all-in-one chips, the internal diagrams and app notes are an excellent way of learning how the big boys do it.

ak

cRash1001

Joined Dec 22, 2015
Ok So after studying some ADC's of texas, maxim, analog I found them to be some what hard to understand. I wanted to use ADE7753 but I dont have necessary equipment for testing and calculating the values of variables needed for calculation. So, if anyone has done this project for single phase energy meter suggest me a good ADC for meter reading

cRash1001

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I don't understand how digital meter count energy and there is led blink on it.
A digital Energy Meter steps down the mains and measures the instantaneous values of current and voltages simultaneous through ADC. It samples those readings averages them and calculates the energy consumed in KWh. The led blink is just an indicator. eg: 1000 imp/KWh on an energy meter means the led blinks 1000 times for every KWh energy consumed.

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Take a look at microchip.com They are very aggressive in the energy meter arena and have apnotes, cheap development boards etc. You can download the manuals/schematics/code for free. Good info even if you are not using a PIC.

cRash1001

Joined Dec 22, 2015
I think I am going to be using MSP430F6736IPN from texas instruments or ATM90E26-YU-R from atmel or CS5490-ISZ from cirrus logic. These are not the best ICs but will do for some R&D. Analog Devices has some great AFE such as ADE7953 and ADE7753 but the firmware programming is a lot complicated.