Since two threads are closed, I had to open a new one... "Clock Boy" returns.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
people get arrested every day with no actual charges filed after details are better understood or after a review with the DA. I don't know why this case is so unusual on that basis.
It isn't unusual, it's just Unconstitutional to arrest a person for, "I can't think of a reason."
Every interaction with a LEO is supposed to start with Reasonable Articulable Suspicion (of a crime that was/is/will be in progress). (Terry v Ohio)
Public Media TV shows are always about Officer Friendly. Youtube has videos about how much the arrested person receives as a cash settlement.
This goes to the War on Cops theory. The War on Cops is really about the war on unconstitutional behavior by LEOs.
The LEOs enjoy claiming it's about shooting all police officers, but what's happening is people shooting them with cameras.
I can, fairly quickly, find a video wherein a woman was awarded at least $100,000 just because she was held incommunicado and screamed at (for hours) to confess to a crime that never happened.
Youtube search: Police settlements

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
In the bomb case and with this report directing most of the blame on the police is missing the point with "zero tolerance".

• About 44% of those stops occurred in two small predominantly African-American neighborhood that contain only 11% of the city's population
• Hundreds of individuals were stopped at least 10 times during this period, and seven were stopped more than 30 times
• Only 3.7% resulted in citations or arrests
Now do you think the cops were in these neighborhoods because of the great coffee and donuts shops? It's a sometimes deadly game played by city leaders, cops and criminals everywhere. The cops get orders from the elected leaders of the city that the 'voters' in these neighborhoods are unhappy with the levels of crime so they send some of the 'blue gang' with the correct attitude to the 'hood' to let the cirminals know 'we' will be riding their asses like a fly next to stink. Crime drops a little but the voters still complain. The circle repeats until not just crooks are being jumped by the blue gang and those same 'voters' start complaining about police instead of criminals. The leaders sacrifice a few of the blue gang so the 'voters' are happy. Process repeats.

Last edited:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
In the bomb case and with this report directing most of the blame on the police is missing the point.

Now do you think the cops were in these neighborhoods because of the great coffee and donuts shops? It's a sometimes deadly game played by city leaders, cops and criminals everywhere. The cops get orders from the elected leaders of the city that the 'voters' in these neighborhoods are unhappy with the levels of crime so they send some of the 'blue gang' with the correct attitude to the 'hood' to let the cirminals know 'we' will be riding their asses like a fly next to stink. Crime drops a little but the voters still complain. The circle repeats until not just crooks are being jumped by the blue gang and those same 'voters' start complaining about police instead of criminals. The leaders sacrifice a few of the blue gang so the 'voters' are happy. Process repeats.
I agree that #12 has some troubles with police and there is a limit to be pushed with this police arrest thing.

When applied to the topic of this thread, I still think there is no problem arresting the kid if the kid acted in a way to imply the case was more than a clock or decided not to answer questions of the police who were trying to understand why this was in the school, what its purpose was and what it could become. In that partially disassembled state, the alarm speaker could easily be turned into a switch for a time-delay device. Therefore, it is just as much a component as someone walking into a school with two pipe caps and a foot long piece of pipe for no reason which could also quickly become part of a greater device.

Schools have zero-tolerance policies, the students are informed of these policies. Normally, they include a list of various "devices" and a statement to include "parts of devices". A school does not have to prove anything, they just have to call the police when they see fit and let the police to make the decision to arrest or not. What more can they do.

NOTE1: The more I think of it, the more I think the police can reasonably charge the kid with any number of things and they don't have to do it on the spot. They can bring someone in and they have several hours to days to press charges (depending on when the arrest was made).

NOTE 2: I also think there was some level of planning/conniving was involved in this "scheme" because the blast to the media was just too fast for a local family to advertise to CNN and the rest of the world that their kid was arrested for bringing a clock to school.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Schools have zero-tolerance policies, the students are informed of these policies. Normally, they include a list of various "devices" and a statement to include "parts of devices". A school does not have to prove anything, they just have to call the police when they see fit and let the police to make the decision to arrest or not. What more can they do.

NOTE1: The more I think of it, the more I think the police can reasonably charge the kid with any number of things and they don't have to do it on the spot. They can bring someone in and they have several hours to days to press charges (depending on when the arrest was made).

NOTE 2: I also think there was some level of planning/conniving was involved in this "scheme" because the blast to the media was just too fast for a local family to advertise to CNN and the rest of the world that their kid was arrested for bringing a clock to school.
The fact we can do things this way does not make it a smart way of doing things. Handling this as strictly a police matter was stupid as soon as the police (or a teacher with an 80 IQ) saw it was not a bomb or any type of destructive device. The decision to try to get a statement of wrong doing from him was a stupid attempt to cover-up stupid zero-tolerance policies that allow little thinking about the consequences of law enforcement involvement with minors. Let's say there was some level of pre-planning/conniving (there is no evidence of that I see), the simple solution was to say 'cool clock in a box' now sit down and do your school work from the English teacher he seemed to have a crush on (that I believe was annoyed by him and started this mess by reporting him). Look at how many people got PUNKED by a 14 year old with a briefcase if he planned this.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I agree that #12 has some troubles with police and there is a limit to be pushed with this police arrest thing.
I haven't had near the problems some people have. Mostly false swearing in traffic tickets because I had a motorcycle. "The Sergent said motorcycles are dangerous so we're removing the drivers licenses of motorcycle owners (by swearing to false traffic tickets under penalty of perjury)." I only had one adventure with a rabid cop who saw me checking my turn signals on a deserted road, and what I called my, "pet cop" who pulled me over every time he saw me, even when I was walking (home from school at 3 p.m.). On the other hand, I was in the back seat when a LEO let my friend have his wife take the steering wheel because he was severely too drunk to drive, but no ticket for drunk driving. I came within 2 points of losing my license to false tickets and am now disfigured for 40 years by a drunk driver on his 3rd DUI. No telling how many times he drove drunk and wasn't caught or was caught but wasn't ticketed. Meanwhile, I'm only talking about white people. I'm sure the other colors of people suffer a lot more of this malfeasance, but the aroma of arrogance still clings to cops when they are talking to me. That's disgusting when I've got them beat (on the average) by more than 50 I.Q. points.

Being used for cash flow just because I owned a motorcycle is nothing compared to being arrested for, "I don't know" or being beaten or shot just because you're black, but it all comes back to, "unconstitutional", no probable cause, no articulable reasonable suspicion that any crime has been/is/will be committed.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The cops get orders from the elected leaders of the city that the 'voters' in these neighborhoods are unhappy with the levels of crime so they send some of the 'blue gang' with the correct attitude to the 'hood' to let the criminals know 'we' will be riding their asses like a fly next to stink.
I think it's more like this: The cops have a quota for arrests and traffic tickets and they know where to find a target rich population that can't afford a lawyer.

They need to generate cash flow to pay for military level equipment so they can send a SWAT team to do a welfare check. 80,000 SWAT deployments in 2015. Did you see 80,000 hostage situations or active shooter standoffs on the TV last year? How do you think they pay for all that military grade equipment? Armored personnel carriers for the, "Occupy Wall Street" sit-in, assault rifles and grenade launchers to check on a sick person in the shower, flash-bang grenades for babies in their cribs, enough bullets to kill a pet dog every 98 minutes, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year? That stuff gets expensive!

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
The doj report is total bs. It's basic argument is that since the (racial) demographics of the arrested deviate from the general population (which one?), it must be driven by racial bias on the part of the police.

Total bs.

Take this one:
1. The age demographics of the arrested is mostly young males, with infants and elderly substantially under-represented. Does that mean the police is against young people?
2. The gender demographics is also mostly male, with females substantially under-represented. Should we go out and randomly arrest female citizens to make up that gap?

One more, the overwhelming majority of those arrested are criminals, with law-abiding citizens severely under-represented. Should we then randomly arrest good people and throw them in jail?

What the doj wants is really a society where certain groups of individuals are more equal to others.

We have seen that, and it is called "animal farm".

dannyf

Joined Sep 13, 2015
What's sad about most of the Western societies is that if you work hard, provide for your family, contribute to the society, follow the law and pay hour taxes, you have no rights and no representation. Every lunatic will be running around telling you how unfair that you aren't paying your fair share to support their families and their lunacy.

All over the world, people are being forced to import "refugees" who rape and kill their families. Where is fairness in that?

Anyone who dares to question that is called a xenophobic, a racist and a bigot. Yet, the Obamas and Merkel's of the world don't have to bear any of the consequences of such decisions.

You know what, I'm happy to double my taxes to support unlimited number of "refugees" as long as they get to live, accident free and without security protection, with families of those politicians who support refugee settlement.

If the Obama's or Merkel's of the world aren't willing to out their families at risk for their policies, why should we?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I don't think they will win the suing the police part of this case because the police followed correct procedure when responding to a 'bomb' at a school. When I was a kid the cops would have laughed it off as a “naive accident” and headed back to the donut shop but you can't do that now because of stupid rules with little leeway for common sense decision making.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/comm...ted-after-taking-homemade-clock-to-school.ece
At a joint press conference with Irving ISD, Chief Larry Boyd said the device — confiscated by an English teacher despite the teen’s insistence that it was a clock — was “certainly suspicious in nature.”

School officers questioned Ahmed about the device and why Ahmed had brought it to school. Boyd said Ahmed was then handcuffed “for his safety and for the safety of the officers” and taken to a juvenile detention center. He was later released to his parents, Boyd said.

“The follow-up investigation revealed the device apparently was a homemade experiment, and there’s no evidence to support the perception he intended to create alarm,” Boyd said, describing the incident as a “naive accident.”

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Maybe the kid was deliberately creating a political fracas, I can't say. But it reminds me of the time I was hassled about my diy deadman's alert which is a gadget I made to help prevent drowsy driving. How it works is after a selectable delay it illuminates push button and sounds 20 'tick tocks' (which are each just a 100 ms 1 khz tone followed by 100ms 800hz tone and then 400ms of silence). Then it goes onto a 20s EBS RLH tone (which is chord of 853Hz & 960Hz) then after that to 140db bursts from dedicated piezo transducer. It could be reset at any point after activation by pressing the button. So basically it's just deadman's switch for automobile instead of train. Anyhow I was stopped by OPP patrol for speeding and he basically freaked out when it started making noise and actually unholstered his gun and dove for the ditch when it sounded EBS tone:rolleyes: I guess I'm just lucky they let me take it apart to show them it's just harmless fancy snooze alarm cuz I know sometimes they just destroy suspected IEDs and then there's no evidence for suspect to prove innocence:mad:

So my point with long winded post is just to say even good ppl have gotten so jumpy that they are too ready to jump to bad conclusions:(! and that maybe race isn't the big issue cuz I was treated like public enemy no. 1 and I'm W. European descended YT:rolleyes:

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Note to self: Correct procedure for a, "no crime happened" scene is to try to create an arrestable offense.
Never mind.
I already knew that.
I agree but the push to create arrestable offenses for every stupid misunderstanding didn't originate with street cops. Criminalization is a creeping crud affecting all sorts of things even free speech and expression.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Note to self: Correct procedure for a, "no crime happened" scene is to try to create an arrestable offense.
Never mind.
I already knew that.
#12 that's sad but true:(! But I say it's not all law enforcement's fault cuz they answer to Govt. and Govt answers to disengaged, myopic, and I say collectively stupid populous:( I know _just following orders_ is poor excuse but no cops at all would be much worse:eek:!