Simply 555 Timer Delay at start.

dingo

Joined Mar 11, 2011
Hello Everyone.
I hope this forum will be nicer to me since my posts in other website has gotten very mean replies :(

I have been searching the web for about a week now and have not really found a simple solution for what I want to do.

Here is my project:
When I connect my 9v battery, I want to wait 5 seconds, then Switch1 will activate. After 10 seconds, the switch will stop.

Is this possible with a 555 Timer?

Anything will help. Thanks.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
I think it's possible, you may want to use the 556 instead or method to trigger it when the LED turns on and when the time runs out that other half of the 556 can tell the upper 556 to trigger so it powers the 5 second compactor and resistors all over again. So pretty much you may have to use 2 555 timers.

You can take a look at this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5stz-e2Fw

It may get you to think how to do this more and I found it very easy and got mine to work and I wrote down the schematic to look at it if I ever wanted to go back and make some modifications of my own. :)

Sorry not to be too much of a help, but where are both new it appears, it never hurts to play around and I welcome anyone to come in and correct me of a better method. :)

Just wanted to help, thanks!

P.S I also want to introduce you to Bill.
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=19834

Check out he's blog, he has very informative stuff posted and I recommend you to at least read a few blogs.

Last edited:

dingo

Joined Mar 11, 2011
hey thanks alot for that info.
Do you know if there is such a component that works like a capacitor but it will only discharge only after it's full?

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
Oh it's no problem! I love to help out, and I don't think so, your pretty much going to have to depend on the 555 timer to let you know when it discharges completely. I know there maybe a bit more advanced ICs out there, but nothing seems to be better the the good old dependable 555 timer. :)

Also a word from the experienced, you can never be too careful using diodes to make sure current is going to the right direction when it comes to ICs. ;) Just today I had a 555 timer crack and started smoking, because of bad placement of wires off a schematic I was reading. I was pretty much saying "oh it will never happen to me!"

dingo

Joined Mar 11, 2011
Oh yeah. I just started really getting into this about a month ago even though I've been tearing down boombox and computers when I was a kid. I just didn't have the resources to get off the ground.

Have you done anything like my project before? I don't mind having more than one 555. As long as it gets me the result then I'm happy.

ajm113

Joined Feb 19, 2011
hahaha, well I was the same too as a kid, but it was more for fire alarms or anything that made a noise over 75 db to warn you of a fire or of a intruder.

I'm pretty much at the moment making these things myself so I haven't' really thought of having a delay that verys turning on and off. So I am sorta in the same position with you, but atm I'm looking into how to create a turn on delay for when the alarm arms and then see if I can use the same circuit before the alarm goes off for the user to be able to disarm it. (Using the same 555 timer and without a micro controller to keep it old school and challenging)

dingo

Joined Mar 11, 2011
cool :)

I'm using Tina7 to do my simulations. The problem is that when I do a 555 timer, it just doesn't work. I've been looking at schematics with the 555 and when I run them in the simulator, it just again...fail. So this is why i'm on the forum asking for help with the timer :(