Simple theremin with 555 and capacitance multiplier

Green Bean

Joined Mar 31, 2017
Hello. I thought I might try to make a theremin with just parts I had laying around (and not with an LDR). I took an antenna off an old radio I had and started messing around with stuff. I saw online that some guy made a simple theremin with two opamps and some passive parts. The circuit was a relaxation oscillator with a capacitance multiplier that magnified the capacitance between the grounded player and the antenna. I don't have any opamps and I only have a single ended power supply, but I was thinking that I could make a capacitance multiplier with a transistor and use a 555 as the oscillator. I didn't have much luck unfortunately, I'm not sure where to connect the 555 to the capacitance multiplier. Is this possible? What would the circuit look like?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You can only make a Ldr type with a 555, to make a full theramin you need transistor oscillators or op-amps, for pitch and volume.

Green Bean

Joined Mar 31, 2017
ok ok ok. Well I have a new question. How do I make an RC lowpass filter with a capacitance multiplier that magnifies the capacitance of the capacitor going to ground? So maybe I could use the antenna to control the lowpass filter?