Simple Rewiring of SPDT switch

turtlesplatter

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Hey all!

Novice (at best) circuit DIYer.

This should be extremely simple but I just cannot see how to do it. On my motorcycle (well, Can Am Spyder) I have a set of fog lights that is controlled by a push button switch illuminated with a LED angle eye. The way it is set up currently, the LED is always on whether the lights are on or not. I want to rewire it so that the LED only comes on when the lights are on. I know it is just a matter of jumping specific connectors but the way it is currently prewired to the bike, not sure how due to how it is connected to the bike's harness. It is basically set up like this:

Switch side Bike Side Harness
(+) Red > Pink/Red
(C) Orange > Gray/Green
(NO) Green > Black
(-) Purple > Black
(NC) empty -----

I have used this type of switch before and had it wired so that the LED only comes on when the accessory is on. Did this by jumping (+) and (NO) which went to the positive side of the ACC; (C) went to positive side of battery; (-) went to ground;

I just cannot see how to do this due to the prewiring. Is it as simple as swapping connectors on the switch and if so, which ones?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

m.

turtlesplatter

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Do the pink and red go to 2 different pins, or is it one wire with two colors?
Sorry...should have stated that. The Pink/Red wire is a single lead (pink with red stripe) that goes to a single pin. Same goes for the Gray/Green (Gray wire with green stripe) to a single pin.

Thanks again!

turtlesplatter

Joined Oct 26, 2016
Here is a diagram I found of how the switch is basically to be wired. The top diagram, "LED on when switch is on", is how I would like to wire it where (+) and (NO) are jumped: Bottom one, "LED always on", is how it apparently is now where (+) and (C) are jumped. If I was doing this from scratch, it would be a no brainer but the existing connections are throwing me off. In other words, how and where are the connections being jumped if there are 4 leads going in and 4 leads going out?

HTH

m.

Attachments