Simple Photocell LED Nightlight

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
In the latest schematic posted by BMorse:

you can add the capability of adjusting the threshold of light.

Replace R2 with a 2.2k fixed resistor in series with a 10k to 100k potentiometer, wired as a rheostat by using just the center "wiper" terminal and one "end" terminal.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
BMorse
Actually the pencil schematic will not work, I built it on a breadboard and it does nothing for what the op wants (It does not even work!!)
I disagree.

I built the pencil circuit and you can see that it works. Visit http://www.tech-service.net/joe/dark_detection.asp to see the pictures or view the video. Also note the current drawn from the 9V source.

My photocell measured about 13k and less when exposed to the light and about to 500k in the dark.

OP from post number 1
I am trying to do a very simple LED circuit for a nightlight, using a Photocell to turn it on at night and off in the daylight.

Last edited:

TexAvery

Joined Oct 7, 2009
Adding the 10k potentiometer and 2.2k works fine. Is there a way to have the LED go to about 50% brightness when R3 is completely covered (dark)?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Adding the 10k potentiometer and 2.2k works fine. Is there a way to have the LED go to about 50% brightness when R3 is completely covered (dark)?

Change R1 with a pot also, so you can change the LED current and adjust brightness, you might want to put a fixed resistor (680 up to 1k) in series with the pot so when the pot is turned all the way to VCC, it doesn't burnout your LED....

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
I disagree.

I built the pencil circuit and you can see that it works. Visit http://www.tech-service.net/joe/dark_detection.asp to see the pictures or view the video. Also note the current drawn from the 9V source.

My photocell measured about 13k and less when exposed to the light and about to 500k in the dark.

So maybe I misquoted myself :rolleyes:, The circuit WILL WORK if you have a specific photocell to use, I tried the circuit with 4 photocells and it will only work with one out of four, my circuit works with all 4.....

so my apologies, the circuit will work if you shop around long enough for the right photocell ;)....

I guess the important part is the op got his circuit working no matter which circuit he used.....

My .02

Attachments

TexAvery

Joined Oct 7, 2009
I guess I got lucky with the first photo resistor. Now I would like to modify Bmorse's
LED ON in full light schematic, but do not know how. Here is the request, FULL ambient light = FULL brightness LED. Night or dark room = half bright LED.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
So maybe I misquoted myself :rolleyes:, The circuit WILL WORK if you have a specific photocell to use, I tried the circuit with 4 photocells and it will only work with one out of four, my circuit works with all 4.....
It worked with the only photocell I had handy. The three the OP had listed, all would have worked in the pencil schematic. I don't know what your photocells measure in light or in dark.

Your choice of paralleling the LED with the transistor consumes alot of power.

You might want to check the power budget of your circuit with the LED energized and not energized.

On your post labeled #17 of this thread, why did you choose a 10k ohm resistor for R1? And on post 29, you changed the same functioning resistor to 1k. Neither of those resistors in that function allows 15 mA through the LED.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Here is the request, FULL ambient light = FULL brightness LED. Night or dark room = half bright LED.
Look into using a 555 timer pulse width using a photocell to accomplish your task.

Which of the three photocells you described in your original post have you decided on using?

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
You might want to check the power budget of your circuit with the LED energized and not energized.

On your post labeled #17 of this thread, why did you choose a 10k ohm resistor for R1? And on post 29, you changed the same functioning resistor to 1k. Neither of those resistors in that function allows 15 mA through the LED.

Power budget for LED night Light = Wall wart......

I used 10K in post #17, since the OP wanted to dim the LED a bit, and did not want full brightness..... I was just following through with what has been posted... Post 29, 1k, since op still didn't want full power but to make LED visible in "light", since that circuit was for "LED on with Light present"....

If the op wanted to use the full brightness we would have stuck with the 470ohm resistor (for 15mA through the LED).

haha11

Joined Dec 10, 2008
that is a old circuit childrens play all the time with !
however the battery will die in 10 days ...they get bored and dont use it any more .

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
that is a old circuit childrens play all the time with !
however the battery will die in 10 days ...they get bored and dont use it any more .
:confused: What battery???

If your children are playing with a Mains powered Night light :eek:, you might want to do something about that before they get electrocuted!:D

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
:confused: What battery???

If your children are playing with a Mains powered Night light :eek:, you might want to do something about that before they get electrocuted!:D
Here's a quote from the OP:

I got the same parts he lists:

9 Volt Battery
Photo-Cell
NPN Transistor (2N 4401)
Super Bright White LED
100K ohms Resistor
470 ohms Resistor
9 Volt battery Snap