Simple Multidirection DC Motor Control

sgr9226

Joined Dec 22, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I am extremely green to the electronics world, and as such I am looking for direction on a new project.

I need to drive a DC motor clockwise 45 degrees, then counterclockwise 45 degrees repeatedly for a period of approximately 3 seconds, then dwell for 3 seconds, then repeat. I'd like to use a 6 or 9V power supply and the motor run sequence should simply be controlled by an on/off switch. Motor speed must run at approximately 200RPM.

What would be the simplest/cheapest method for controlling this motion sequence?

Are there any concerns regarding motor longevity?

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
What are you trying to do ????
Is this a Top-Secret Military Project ????
Sounds like you need a Windshield Wiper Motor.

sgr9226

Joined Dec 22, 2020
I'm looking to cycle the motor back and forth for a duration of 3 seconds. Assuming the motor starts at a position I'll call 0°, one cycle constitutes travel CW to +45°, then CCW to -45° (90° of travel), then CW back to 0° (45° of travel) for a cumulative angular motion of 180°. At a rotational speed of 200rpm, assuming no delays between CW/CCW motion, with 3 seconds of cycling, the motor will perform "one cycle" of cumulative 180° motion 20 times.

Sounds like a RC servo motor would be a reasonable fit for this application?

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Sounds like a RC servo motor would be a reasonable fit for this application?
It depend on how long you want it to keep doing this. A RC servo motor has a run time before failure of 500 hours.

A 1.8 degree stepper motor doing 25 steps forward and 25 steps back could run (almost) for ever.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
For that small of a movement and speed, you most likely could get away without a sophisticated stepper drive, just a switching device transistor/Mosfet using a fixed plate voltage of the motor.
At the desired No. of step counts.
Max.