** Simple Audio Amplifier **

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
Hi All:

I need to fine a way to bring up the volume at my outdoor speaker.

See diagram below.

I thought maybe a simple amplifier would do the trick, but I can't seem to find one on line.

Your input will be very much appreciated, and thanks ahead of time.

Amplifier not Amplifire :-(
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,848
We have a local album at this site that is much friendlier to use, I think. The link you gave they want to sell prints. Better yet, cut and paste the
link, and it will be displayed as part of your post.
 

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
Hi Audioguru:

I'm also wondering why so much wattage, but why two inputs?

I like the idea of having a volume control.

Where can I find an amp like this on-line in the U.S.A. ?
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,848
Actually they used to be kind common. What kind of specs are you looking for? Start with the speakers, do you already have some, or are you shopping for them too?
 

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
I have this Pre-Amp, I haven't tried it as I don't want to create a problem.

Just wondering if it would work.

Hi Bill Marsden:

I already have the system up and running like my diagram shows, but the volume is too low when I switch to the scanner.
 

Attachments

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,848
If I understand what you're after (and I don't claim any special expertise) you want to drive speakers for your patio. AudioGuru assumed stereo, which is also what I would assume. If not you need to tell us, it makes a difference.

So instead of working from the front back go the other way. Pick some outdoor speakers, figure where you will put them, then figure out how loud you want them. The requirements to overpower the boombox next door aren't the same as a low level clear sound ambience.
 

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
Hi Again Bill Marsden:

Like I said, my system is already up and running. Like my diagram shows, it's all MONO, no stereo. Take another look at my diagram above.

It's working just the way I want it except I need to increase the volume when the scanner is selected.

I put an amplifier in the diagram, but I really don't have one installed yet, that's why I'm here asking what I can do to increase the volume in the scanner circuit.
 

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
23,848
OK, I had to reread it, the picture was not readable on the other computer.

Lots of posiblilities, a lot of them yard sales, eBay, flea markets, etc. A guitar amp or a PA amp, for example.

Radio Shack used to sell little amps that would have been good for your application (though it was stereo). I don't think you want to build one from the ground up, though it is possible.

I'll look around some online catalogs.

You can do it too, check this thread out.

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=22967
 

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
Thanks hwy101:

I ordered the UK153, it's assembled.

When I receive it and get it installed, I'll let you know how it works.

Thank you also Bill Marsden, I really appreciate all the help !!
 
install a volume control inside then you can turn the main volume up higher. If your main volume is up loud enough for the outside your indoor volume can be turned down. I hope I am making sense.
 

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
11,248
The CK153 amplifier provides 5 Whats to a 4 ohm speaker at a horrible-sounding 10% clipped distortion when it has a 12V supply. Its power to an 8 ohm speaker at clipping is about 1.5 Watts. Like a cheap clock radio.
 

Thread Starter

Bill Lane

Joined Jun 18, 2009
7
Hi All:

I just wanted to say thanks for the help.

I installed the amplifier and it works just fine except I get a hum if I turn the volume up over 3/4 of the way.

The speaker in the yard is as loud as I was hoping for, so I'm happy. And the hum is no problem because I only need the volume turned up 1/2 way.

See pictures ...

Again, thanks for all your help!
 

Attachments

Top