Silicon Diode

Bavlos

Joined Mar 2, 2020
Hi guys, Im new on semiconductors and I must understand very well the silicon Diode
could please anyone Explain as much possible about the silicon diode and its principle of operation?
I really appreciate you guys about your help to understand very well the silicon diode, thanks alot

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Pure silicon is essentially an insulator.

When silicon is doped with phosphorous, the added impurity brings with it electrons which makes the silicon slightly conducting. This is called an N-type material.

In the opposite case, when the impurity is boron (for example) there is a deficiency of electrons (we call this "holes") thus creating a P-type material .

When you join a P-type material with N-type material, the spare electrons fill in the holes at the junction (i.e. recombine) and everybody is happy. With no free electrons and holes the junction becomes non-conducting again. This is called a depletion region because the region is depleted of charge carriers (electrons and holes).

If you apply a reverse voltage at the junction (i.e. make the P-side more negative than the N-side) you drive electrons and holes away from the junction and the deletion region gets wider. The P-N junction becomes even less able to conduct electrical current.

On the other hand, apply a forward bias (i.e. make the P-side more positive than the N-side), the depletion region diminishes and electrons and holes are able to exchange places across the junction (i.e. current begins to flow). Increase the applied voltage and the current increases exponentially.