Signal Quality

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi All,

I developing an android application and need some help computing the *signal quality* for the following network: gsm, umts (3G), and LTE (4G).

I did some research and found the following to be interested:

The EC/IO is a measure of the quality/cleanliness of the signal from the tower to the modem and indicates the signal-to noise ratio (the ratio of the received/good energy to the interference/bad energy). It is measured in decibels (dB).

I also found this http://developer.android.com/reference/android/telephony/CellSignalStrengthGsm.html for the gsm network But I am wondering which function should I use for 'signal quality' of the gsm network or maybe I should do some computation with one of these method..

Any help/guidance is appreciated!

eric007

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I am no expert, but I have listened to a lot of bits.

There are good quality bits and bad quality bits. But, that's just because I could hear every bit.

Your bits are too fast to use "quality". Only there presence means anything.

I did not read your links, but I would guess that the bit error rate would be a excellent way to judge signal "quality" for a fast digital signal.

At least as far as the tuned receiver is concerned. Other un-tuned receivers, could disagree with that "quality" definition.

If your talking transmitter signal, "quality" is a lot more involved.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I am no expert, but I have listened to a lot of bits.

There are good quality bits and bad quality bits. But, that's just because I could hear every bit.

Your bits are too fast to use "quality". Only there presence means anything.

I did not read your links, but I would guess that the bit error rate would be a excellent way to judge signal "quality" for a fast digital signal.

At least as far as the tuned receiver is concerned. Other un-tuned receivers, could disagree with that "quality" definition.

If your talking transmitter signal, "quality" is a lot more involved.

Thanks for at least reply to my thread!

I am referring to the signal quality received by the phone...

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok, Eric, I looked over your links. Being that most phones already have a signal strength indicator, I would suggest using the get error bit rate function.

You might want to compare it to signal strength. The graph would be interesting.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I can't do the math, but I can tell you it exists. I worked at a place where the signal was intentionally attenuated and the the error bits were counted to compare with the predicted number of error bits.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Does anybody know a function (method) that returns the signal quality for UMTS and LTE networks or how to compute it?

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
My current problem is that I still have limited knowledge of how gsm, umts, and lte networks work... once I grasp all these concepts I will be good