Sigma Delta 1 bit ADC

Raj_Singh

Joined Nov 26, 2023
Can I use a CMOS inverter for a 1-bit DAC for the sigma delta or how should simply design a 1 bit DAC with the most simple circuit?

Raj_Singh

Joined Nov 26, 2023
I am trying to build a Sigma Delta Analog to Digital Converter with only opamps. I have never built an ADC before. I want to know if the schematic is correct or will I run into problems when I simulate?

MOD NOTE: Post moved from separate thread and merged with this one.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The most simple circuit is to buy one of the off-the-shelf converter chips that are readily available and quite affordable -- almost certainly less expensive than the circuitry you would come up with and with much better performance.

So the place to start is to describe what (and why) you are doing this and what the requirements actually are for your application.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
So this was moved to Homework Help while I was typing my response. Is this homework? If so, what are the actual requirements?

Raj_Singh

Joined Nov 26, 2023
The most simple circuit is to buy one of the off-the-shelf converter chips that are readily available and quite affordable -- almost certainly less expensive than the circuitry you would come up with and with much better performance.

So the place to start is to describe what (and why) you are doing this and what the requirements actually are for your application.
I have been asked to build a Sigma Delta ADC but I don't know how can I make a simple one bit DAC either using CMOS or switched capacitor in Aim pice.

Raj_Singh

Joined Nov 26, 2023
So this was moved to Homework Help while I was typing my response. Is this homework? If so, what are the actual requirements?
I am trying to build everything from scratch....I have no specific requirements but I am trying to build a Sigma Delta ADC using only opamps. I would also like to know if this ADC will actually work or am I missing something in the design

Attachments

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I am trying to build everything from scratch....I have no specific requirements but I am trying to build a Sigma Delta ADC using only opamps. I would also like to know if this ADC will actually work or am I missing something in the design
Your first step is to do some research and really understand what a Sigma-Delta ADC is and how it works. You need to understand each step of the processing, so we aren't talking about a high-level description of the generalities.

You will likely find that what you need to do to make one that works is a lot simpler than what it required to make one that works well. That's fine. Strip it to the bone as much as possible. Don't worry too much about noise or linearity or even monotonicity. You first want to demonstrate a circuit that behaves, however poorly, like a sigma-delta ADC.