Siglent SDS1104X-E vs SDS1204X-E in late 2019 ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I can get the 100MHz 1104x-e for Christmas, or save up another $200-300USD for the 200MHz 1204x-e.

I know some people have unlocked the 1104 to the 1204. Skimming through the instructions on that, is like a programming course, and IDK programming. How safe is it to even try ? Can you mess it up and brick it, like flashing video cards ? I was afraid to ever try that, and that process looks easy in comparison, and lots of people did it so there was lot's of help and easy to find resources.

Can a legit firmware upgrade break it, after unlocking it ?

Someone said you get much better probes with the 1204. And not everyone's convinced the unlocked 1104 is really the same as the 1204 anyways.

What say the people on AAC ?

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
They are the same HW, guaranteed !
PP510 (100 MHz) probes vs PP215 (200MHz) ($10 vs $27) probes display under 1 dB difference over 200 MHz so the difference in probes is of little concern when scopes typically only give +3% vertical accuracy anyway.
As for the hack, if you don't feel comfortable with it initially don't do it. Take your time to research the methods online and when you're comfortable give it a go. It's as easy as finding the license strings in a memdump and then inserting them with a SCPI command that you can even do from within the scopes inbuilt webserver.
Siglent don't offer a formal BW upgrade for these models so the hack is a way around the factory configuration of which model it will be.
AFAIK firmware upgrades have never affected the hack but that's not to say in the future Siglent won't make it harder.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Ok so that probes would be ok. For most stuff my doing 100MHz scope and probes are fine anyways. If I'm careful with my money I could get 1 in under 3 weeks.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
Ok so that probes would be ok. For most stuff my doing 100MHz scope and probes are fine anyways. If I'm careful with my money I could get 1 in under 3 weeks.
Yep one of the Siglent beta testers swept the 100 and 200 MHz probes and plotted the results and they were very little different.
However the PP215 probes are a slightly better match for SDS1204X-E at high frequencies.
Most Siglent distributors will have SDS1104X-E in stock.
Have a look for their contact particulars in your part of the world from the Siglent How to Buy pages:
https://int.siglent.com/map/https://www.siglenteu.com/how-to-buy/https://siglentna.com/how-to-buy/

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Thanks, I'll get it on Amazon, from in Canada or the US. I was going to get a new scope last year, but upgraded my gaming PC instead. So this Christmas I can afford the 1104 for sure

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I would suggest buying directly from Siglent. When I bought my 1102 there was a problem with the ones being sold on Amazon. It was an esoteric problem that only advanced users would encounter but the serial #s of the lot Amazon was selling were faulty. The price I paid buying directly from the Siglent US Agent was the same as Amazons and any warranty issues would be directed straight at Siglent and not some trail of middlemen. Caveat Emptor

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I would suggest buying directly from Siglent. When I bought my 1102 there was a problem with the ones being sold on Amazon. It was an esoteric problem that only advanced users would encounter but the serial #s of the lot Amazon was selling were faulty. The price I paid buying directly from the Siglent US Agent was the same as Amazons and any warranty issues would be directed straight at Siglent and not some trail of middlemen. Caveat Emptor
Similar experience with my Rigol. Buy from an AUTHORIZED dealer. No need to ask why.

I did buy my Autel code scanner form Amazon. First one was a dud, and Amazon stood by it, not Autel. Far simpler to get from an authorized dealer.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
looking on Siglents website I don't see Canada or US sellers listed, but there are retailers like RCC for about the same price

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
I'm starting to set up a bench at home so that I can continue to play with things after I retire.

The Siglent SDS1204X-E (200 MHz, 4 channels) @ $759 (Amazon) is a bit more than I want to spend at the start. Hence I'm bouncing between the SDS1202X (200 MHz, 2 channels), $359 on Amazon, and the SDS1104X-E (100 MHz, 4 channels), $499 on Amazon. Any thoughts? Speed vs number-of-channels?

Most of my hands-own experience has been with Tektronix gear, going back to the '585. Most recently have used various Tek DSOs along with equivalent gear from Keysight/Agilent.

Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
My first thought would be to determined who the actual seller is, i.e., Amazon or some other entity. Then be sure the seller is authorized, and your warranty will be valid.

Amazon does not check whether all of its vendors are authorized; although, in my experience, it does stand behind what is sells from secondary vendors. It can be just an inconvenience. I ran into that problem with an Autel OBD scanner. Autel is very sensitive about who sells its products.

As for the choice, I would opt for the 4-channel, as that allows comparison of more inputs. I haven't needed anything more than 100 MHz in a long time, if ever.

SteveSh

Joined Nov 5, 2019
My first thought would be to determined who the actual seller is, i.e., Amazon or some other entity. Then be sure the seller is authorized, and your warranty will be valid.

Amazon does not check whether all of its vendors are authorized; although, in my experience, it does stand behind what is sells from secondary vendors. It can be just an inconvenience. I ran into that problem with an Autel OBD scanner. Autel is very sensitive about who sells its products.

As for the choice, I would opt for the 4-channel, as that allows comparison of more inputs. I haven't needed anything more than 100 MHz in a long time, if ever.
Thanks for the feedback, it's what I was looking for. So 1 vote for more channels vs speed :)

I was just using the Amazon prices as a comparison point. Not sure if I'll end up buying from Amazon or a reseller.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
So what is the warranty? Is it from Siglent or from the retailer ?

I want 4 channels all in a small box. That will free up a lot of space on my desk.

tautech

Joined Oct 8, 2019
3 years.
The reseller or regional distributor applies to the factory for a claim and if they are an authorized service center carries out any repairs at no cost.
For SDS1*04X-E the only claim I have made is for a cooling fan based on a video my customer sent me. It sounded terrible and I forwarded the video and my warranty records to Siglent and a new fan arrived in my next stock order.
My experience is that Siglent offer wonderful warranty support. I manage all warranty records on Siglent's behalf in NZ but I don't know how other distributors do.
Siglent now offer online product registration and warranty status checks:
https://int.siglent.com/account.php?module=login&jump_url=/account.php?module=product-registration
https://int.siglent.com/account.php?module=warranties

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
Thanks I put off getting 1 again cause I was thinking of upgrading my videocard, but it's fine. Now I'm planning to get the sds1104x-e next month for sure, can't wait. My 2Ch scope take's up 1/2 my desk, add a PSU and another scope, and it's blocked.

This will be perfect.

Some day I'd like a 1GHz scope, but I would need a ton of money, or still spend a pile on a used 1980's model.

m124z

Joined Jul 19, 2010
Good advice, thanks.

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
I got the sds1104x-e in Canada from RCCElectronics, a legit supplier, and for a good price !!

This thing is great, I really have to be careful, like checking what gear a car is in.