Shorted cell in car battery...

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
It is a common occurrence. I think it is my turn today, for a not old one.

Charging the ill battery with a plain car battery charger would overcharge the remaining good cells, is that right ?
It would not reach 14V as the charger expects in order to terminate process, right ? So... dump it ?

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Put it in the core exchange pile to go towards a new battery.

Or if you feeling a bit mad scientist have a go at it with a Dremel or small die grinder and see if you can cut a few access points into the cover so you can tap into the connections between each cell individually and use it as a lower voltage special application battery.

Or cut it into two or three batteries or separate cells if the bad cell is in the middle. Just drain the cells you want to cut through, flush them with water a few times and saw the case open through those neutralized cells.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
It is a common occurrence. I think it is my turn today, for a not old one.

Charging the ill battery with a plain car battery charger would overcharge the remaining good cells, is that right ?
It would not reach 14V as the charger expects in order to terminate process, right ? So... dump it ?
Externet I know it's cold comfort cuz it's too late to help this time but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS USE AGM batteries for LAs! Wet cell LAs are sometimes dangerous often destructive and always unreliable:mad:!

Sry for the caplocks but it's just for emphasis not shouting:)!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
Or if you feeling a bit mad scientist have a go at it with a Dremel or small die grinder and see if you can cut a few access points into the cover so you can tap into the connections between each cell individually and use it as a lower voltage special application battery.

Or cut it into two or three batteries or separate cells if the bad cell is in the middle. Just drain the cells you want to cut through, flush them with water a few times and saw the case open through those neutralized cells.
Tcmtech I say you must have a LOT of time on your hands:eek::)!

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
What in the world is an AGM battery?
SLK001 It's LA design where electrolyte is absorbed into fiber mats between electrode plates (So Absorbed Glass Mat) It's just a better battery in every way! So I don't know why _wet_ LAs are still on the market:rolleyes:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
SLK001 It's LA design where electrolyte is absorbed into fiber mats between electrode plates (So Absorbed Glass Mat) It's just a better battery in every way! So I don't know why _wet_ LAs are still on the market:rolleyes:
Quality traction (much thicker Lead-Antimony plates than automotive Lead-Calcium batteries) flooded cells can be abused and still last 10 years in hard service. AGM cells are nice but it's a little hard to measure the SG so you can tell the true SOC like you can with an individual flooded cell in a 1600lb power stack. :)
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/6x...gy-2v-1110ah?gclid=CIDgh9qC_c8CFRYIvAodhEcCIA

Dump it bro. I had crack at repairing a battery for my brother, I tried even emptying out the acid and refilling it (sulfuric acid is dangerous). Its waiting to go to the tip.

tranzz4md

Joined Apr 10, 2015
.... LAs! Wet cell LAs are sometimes dangerous often destructive and always unreliable:mad:!..,..!

That's why we've used flooded wet cell lead-acid batteries for our vehicular and other critical applications for the last 80 years. Billions of them.

Study at that "Battery University", it's really pretty good.

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Externet I know it's cold comfort cuz it's too late to help this time but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS USE AGM batteries for LAs! Wet cell LAs are sometimes dangerous often destructive and always unreliable:mad:!

Sry for the caplocks but it's just for emphasis not shouting:)!
Please stop I know your trying to help here but AGM Batteries have their place just like LA batteries has theirs ..

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
That's why we've used flooded wet cell lead-acid batteries for our vehicular and other critical applications for the last 80 years. Billions of them.
Tranzz4md I heard ppl used lots of stones and clubs for a long time too;)!

Please stop I know your trying to help here but AGM Batteries have their place just like LA batteries has theirs ..
Dr.killjoy Maybe so but not wet LA for land and air vehicles! AGM have greater ambient temp range, better current surge capability, a lot more shallow cycles and moderately better deep cycle survival than comparable wet LAs:) Also they don't mind vibration and they withstand up to 5 constant Gs in any direction which automatically makes them better for vehicular application! So all that plus their safety advantages for abt 3X the price is what I call a bargain:)!

Now I'm saying it's funny how talking abt battery topology is like political argument:D

So @Externet I'm sry cuz I know telling ppl what they should have done after the fact can be irritating but I say it's better to try and help prevent repetition of mistake!

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
So all that plus their safety advantages for abt 3X the price is what I call a bargain:)!
Depends on what you need them for. I just put a pair of group 31 in a our old Case 1150 Dozer and they set me back ~$350.
Even in that harsh of working environment the pair they replaced were 10+ years old which puts a ~$1000 set of AGM batterys way out of my justifiable price range for that application given the old machine might be scrap before this set of batteries ever wear out in another decade or more.