Serious Speakers!

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
If you want the most realistic sounding speakers available, i.e. reproducing the sound of live music in a room, look up those designed by Linkwitz (co-designer of the Linkwitz–Riley crossover filter) and the articles on their design on his Linkwitz Lab website .
Bigger and more speakers may mean louder sound but not necessarily better.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
the most realistic sounding speakers available
What are you calling "realistic"? Before or after the engineers and producers tweak it? Was the audio recorded in a studio or in your living room? How does anyone know what the original audio sounded like?

Audio is all about making reproducing sound how the listener thinks it should sound.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What are you calling "realistic"?
It shouldn't need a specific definition, but to me it means as close to live music as possible.
It doesn't have to sound exactly like it did in the studio (or my living room) but it should still sound live.
If you don't know what live music sounds like, then you should listen to some.

This requires minimum distortion variations in frequency response from the amplifiers and speakers, and speakers that disappear in the room, i.e. you can't specifically locate where they are if you close you eyes while listening.
Standard box speakers generally don't to that.

And how do you think it should sound?

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Ha, you're funny.

I don't think. I'm an easy audience because I know live sound is way different than recordings. No need to spend good money on an expensive audio system when live music is plentiful and way more fun that tweaking knobs at home.

...and the line about "Think it should sound" is not mine. It was originally a mantra of Foley artists and eventually adopted by music producers in the 1980s. A lot of that big sound and overly produced recordings fell by the wayside with the dirtier sounds of the 1990s and the rise of digital shortly after.

Last edited:

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
It shouldn't need a specific definition, but to me it means as close to live music as possible.
It doesn't have to sound exactly like it did in the studio (or my living room) but it should still sound live.

This requires minimum distortion variations in frequency response from the amplifiers and speakers, and speakers that disappear in the room, i.e. you can't specifically locate where they are if you close you eyes while listening.
Standard box speakers generally don't to that.

For a recording of a live performance, I would agree with you. But your own room acoustics mean the live recording will never match what you hear at a concert,. So, in my opinion, it is unachievable.

For studio recordings, the artists and engineers control what the recording will sound like based on listening to it, probably in the studio on a specific audio system. If you want to sound the same to you as it did to them, your best bet is to go to the studio and use the same audio equipment to listen to it

Bob

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Listening to sound in a studio with the sound-absorbing walls make audio into something lacking character. Even very early sound chips had an onboard feature to blend noise into tones to make them sound more - natural.

modern tone generators can also add white or pink noise or rumbles to studio or concert recordings. So again, what is "most realistic" version of edited sound? Humm.

https://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/10-ways-to-use-noise-to-enhance-your-mixes-633348

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
Seems simple enougn.
It's a sound system that adds a minimum of coloration/distortion to the sound, and the speakers disappear.
All in the ear of the beholder. Speakers disappearing is funny since no band I ever listened to have disappeared on stage. Nor have their speakers disappeared from the stage.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Doesn't mean you shouldn't try.
Seems simple enougn.
It's a sound system that adds a minimum of coloration/distortion to the sound, and the speakers disappear.
All in the ear of the beholder. Speakers disappearing is funny since no band I ever listened to have disappeared on stage. Nor have their speakers disappeared you seem to want to recreate a sound according to my rule - what you think sounds right.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Speakers disappearing is funny since no band I ever listened to have disappeared on stage.
Are you trolling me?
As I previously stated, I mean speakers that disappear in the room, i.e. you can't localize them if you close your eyes.
All you hear is the music spread out in front of you.
Typical box speakers don't do that.

If you think that's what I think sounds right, then fine. You seem to be stuck on that definition.